Thread: WHV to longer term visa

Default WHV to longer term visa

Hello,
    We have an employee who we'd like to hang onto but they are on a working holiday visa. Looking at the various visa routes I don't see a lot of options for him to stay. Person is under 30, position is restaurant manager, great health, associated degree in art or simlarly worthless degree, position is out of Auckland. We have struggle finding good quality, qualified managers and want to hang on to him if possible. If any of you see how my assessment is wrong I'd appreciate your thoughts. Cheers!

I think this is the only route that might work for you and your employee. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/empl...al-skills-visa It all depends on the details - if you advertise, and can show that anyone who applies is unsuitable, for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    I think this is the only route that might work for you and your employee. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/empl...al-skills-visa It all depends on the details - if you advertise, and can show that anyone who applies is unsuitable, for instance.
    Yes, I've looked at that part. It seems like we have met all those requirements so hopefully will work. We've run so many back to back ads on trade-me and seek with candidates that don't even read the requirements; very frustrating! Definitely a shortage of skilled workers. Through the essential skills visa it appears there are either 1, 3, or 5 year options to stay and work but no clear path to residency from there yet with the new 160 point and salary requirement correct? Thanks JandM!
    Mic

Hi heynekamp,

Agree with JandM, and just want to share my experience.

I was on working holiday visa at first, and my employer helped me to apply for an "essential work visa" as an office manager. And I got a 3-year work visa.

As the SMC is now taking a long time to process, I just thought you might try to help him to get a work visa first in order to keep him stay legally in NZ. Because the Essential work visa takes much less time to process (Mine only takes 10 days from submit to approved).

The other reason is the working condition of the working holiday visa. As I was holding a Chinese Working Holiday visa, it said that I can ONLY WORK for the same employer no longer than 6 months. If your employee is kind of the same situation like me, the best and faster way maybe to apply the Essential work visa first.

There's no direct path from Essential Skills to Residence, no. If he once gets Essential Skills, he'll then have to look at meeting the requirements for SMC from the beginning - building up the right number of points, etc.. Maybe he might need to study for a relevant qualification. But that's the second step, if you manage to get him past the first! Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Heynekamp View Post
    Yes, I've looked at that part. It seems like we have met all those requirements so hopefully will work. We've run so many back to back ads on trade-me and seek with candidates that don't even read the requirements; very frustrating! Definitely a shortage of skilled workers. Through the essential skills visa it appears there are either 1, 3, or 5 year options to stay and work but no clear path to residency from there yet with the new 160 point and salary requirement correct? Thanks JandM!
    Mic

Thanks! Good info and confirms what I was thinking.
    Cheers,
    Mic