Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IRD Number - okay to put my "work address" and send in a change of address notice at a later date?

Default Ird

I am glad to hear you are getting your IRD before you arrive. I waited until I got a flat and a job and my first check took a big hit. It only takes 2 weeks to get an IRD but they taked my check like 40%. Ouch!

The bank account is not such a big deal in fact I am glad I waited. The exchange rate has been moving in favor of the US dollar.

Jonathon

I just found out if you need an IRD number in a rush, call the 0800 number to get local fax number. Fax application, copy of passport, your phone number, and covering letter explaining why you need it rushed. They called the next day with my number

We waited till we got here, which in hindsight was stoopid...Karen should have been earning $60,000 but was put on a ridiculous $25,000 and taxed $1 for every $2...urgh! This is still being sorted out, along with problems with NZQA which we thought was all sorted...honestly they don't make things easy for emigrating teachers...

We phoned the 0800 number and they sorted us out after about 3 weeks being here, so I guess the moral of the story is get your IRD before you get to NZ...

Cheers

Rich

Sorted out IRD when we got here, sent off the forms, Andy was starting a job so I rang them up and they gave us a number cards there in 2 weeks.

If starting a job first few days you arrive apply before otherwise it is not too big a problem.

Give the number to your bank as it is used on the tax on your savings.

re transferring money, we are using a currency exchange co, tracking it, not one of the major ones, if you want details, email me (don't get here much anymore). still doing money transfers now, bringing what we need as we need it until the exchange rate is sweet 2.7 yesterday.

If you apply for an IRD Number from the UK which address do you send it to?

The form lists loads of addresses (well 4) depending on which bit of NZ you live in.

Thoughts/experiences appreciated.

Cheers,

Yogi.

When I applied from the UK, I just sent it to the office nearest to where I would be living... as that happened to be Wellington it wasn't a hard choice.

I applied for an IRD number using my UK address, as we don't leave till the 8th of April, and it was back within a fortnight. means that when we start working our tax is taken at 19% rather than 39%!!!!!!
    P+H

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12