Thread: Implications/obligations associated with sponsoring a family member (parents in my case) to Residence

Default Implications/obligations associated with sponsoring a family member (parents in my case) to Residence

I thought it may be useful to post an update to this closed thread from September 2013 https://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42330.

Original Post
    My concern is what I perceive as ambiguity between the sponsor undertakings and other legislation/rules. Perhaps I’m being overly cautious, but there are very serious potential consequences to getting this wrong. What I signed is almost meaningless as a guide – “I will provide all necessary financial support to the sponsored person(s) for the duration of the sponsorship period, and I undertake to repay any costs to the New Zealand Government, or a third party, which result from my failure to meet my obligations as a sponsor”. That’s very broad and could mean just about anything that a government decides it means. From information provided elsewhere by INZ, it appears that I’m expected to “Pay the reasonable costs of provisions needed for the sponsored person’s health and welfare in New Zealand if they are unable to pay for these themselves. This may include food, clothing and medical treatment where required.”

Access to health care is a good example of ambiguity - It’s clear that I’m fully liable for the cost of things like dental care or health care we opt to receive from the private sector, but it’s not at all clear for the ‘normal’ health care that we all receive. As residents my parents appear to be subject to the same DHB rules that apply any other resident or citizen for accessing health care. Does this mean I am liable for cost that is normally charged to a patient, or is there some mechanism that recognises the sponsorship and thus apportions to me any whatever other costs that the DHB believes is associated with providing that service? And even if it’s not the latter, does the legislation make it possible to do it this way in the future?

Another example would be an accident that requires expensive surgery. This involves not only a DHB, but also ACC – once again the, the question is whether these sorts of events are dealt with in such a way that the cost is the normal cost to permanent residents or citizens, or if any underlying costs are passed on to me.

Update
    All experiences so far are that my parents have been subject to exactly the same rules as any other Resident, other than (as expected) not being eligible for Superannuation. There has been no attempt to apply for any benefits from WINZ, but WINZ did (of their own accord, with no prompting) grant a short-term emergency benefit to my parents during unusual circumstances.
    Last edited by Lens; 9th June 2017 at 02:47 PM.

I don't know anything different from what I stated on that old thread.

ACC covers medical and other costs for ANYONE , who suffers injury by accident in NZ.

There are some limitations on necessary health care for known health conditions in first 2 years after residence , but NZ/UK rot other reciprocal agreements might also cover costs of immediately necessary care.