Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What I'd do different if I moved again

Default What I'd do different if I moved again

I thought it might be helpful to describe my own experiences moving...and what I'd do different if I had it to do all over. My guess is that others have I had quite different experiences, both u because they made different decisions, and because they have different priorities/circumstances.

Context: I moved from semi rural Florida USA to semi- rural Marlborough NZ. I'm outdoor oriented, love gardening and animals, specially dogs, and am the opposite of house proud... Comfort is good but I'm not out to impress anyone. I'm big on DIY and love tools.
    Having heard that most stuff is expensive in NZ, I bought a 20 foot container. I brought my basic furniture and household goods, almost all my hand and garden tools, a couple transformers, selected 120 V appliances, a couple bicycles, misc stuff ranging from sandpaper to nuts and bolts to sponges and towels. I bought all sorts of clothes, but used socks, undies, t-shirts, etc as packing material, so they didn't waste space.
    If I had it to do again, I'd bring my beds but no other furniture. You can pick up antique / vintage furniture here at reasonable prices in op shops, on Trademe, and in used goods stores. I mean hardwood...not crummy press board junk that looks snazzy, but won't stand hard wear.
    It took 3 months for my container to arrive and I'd had to buy various tables, chairs, etc
    to survive. I found some really good old stuff. As for the stuff I bought over, I failed to do a good job cleaning out dog hair and sand that accumulated inside one of my sofas, and I'm going to end out paying more than the damn thing is worth to get it steam cleaned. I would bring more tools, especially gas powered mower, blower, trimmer, and the like.
    I didn't understand the rules about
    bringing in new goods, and agreed to import an adult tricycle for a friend. That plus things like transformers and some stuff I bought for making cider here put me over the allowed $NZ1000...and I ended up paying $550 import duty.
    Also found that some high end made in China items are no more expensive here than in the US. Eg, I found queen size cotton flannel sheets, high quality fabric, but boring print, on sale at $38/set at Warehouse.
    Well, this could go on and on, but enough is enough.

I love this kind of nitty gritty, feel free to ramble on! I'm in the midst of moving mania myself.

I love hiking so if I packed my container again, I will buy all the North Face, Merrell, Columbia hiking boots, Gore Tex jackets etc to NZ. Recently just bought a pair of Merrell hiking shoes. Amazon.com costs USD$100 whereas Merrell shop at Takapuna costs NZD$169 (which is discounted from $269)

Quote Originally Posted by Auckland2016 View Post
    I love hiking so if I packed my container again, I will buy all the North Face, Merrell, Columbia hiking boots, Gore Tex jackets etc to NZ. Recently just bought a pair of Merrell hiking shoes. Amazon.com costs USD$100 whereas Merrell shop at Takapuna costs NZD$169 (which is discounted from $269)
    That is a difference of NZ$ 30- would that make up for the cost of a container? I know that this is just one item, but it is probably not that different (having sales...) with other items?

Hi
    Anyone know how the custom would determine if something is new or old i.e. taxable? I'm planning to relocate in 6mths, considering buying some appliance/bed/mattress/furniture to use now and ship later. For convenience sake, plan to keep the original packaging boxes/styrofoam. How would the custom differentiate something 6mths old? Seem subjective.

I wouldn't want to end up paying for the shipment and get taxed at the same time for things near new. Perhaps, will ship only the essential such as clothings and personal belongings. Buying after arrival has some advantage ... you can choose appliance/furniture aft moving in; It's brand new and with warranty; perhaps you end up buying the essential ... and no need to replace the socket.

Anyone know how the custom would determine if something is new or old i.e. taxable?
    Show them the receipts. Show them photos of the same items in place, in use, in your previous home.

Here are the regulations. http://www.customs.govt.nz/features/...s/default.aspx

Did you mean $10,000 dollars? Or did you not enter with residence?

Quote Originally Posted by sandgrubber View Post
    I didn't understand the rules about bringing in new goods, and agreed to import an adult tricycle for a friend. That plus things like transformers and some stuff I bought for making cider here put me over the allowed $NZ1000...and I ended up paying $550 import duty.

Default I meant $1000

Quote Originally Posted by jawnbc View Post
    Did you mean $10,000 dollars? Or did you not enter with residence?
    I hold an Australian passport so residency is automatic. Should the limit be $10k?

If you are moving to NZ your allowance is certainly more than $1k in goods.

Quote Originally Posted by sandgrubber View Post
    I hold an Australian passport so residency is automatic. Should the limit be $10k?

http://www.customs.govt.nz/features/...s/default.aspx For personal goods, it's $700. That's apart from your household items, see the link for all details.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast