Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What I'd do different if I moved again

Extract Duty free for household items.JPG

Under Exception - Does that mean all appliances are EXEMPTED from the Duty Free ie. have to pay duties/GST?
    Example, if I ship my used TV, washer/fridge, cooker etc. ... i'll have to pay duties and gst?

It seem like used furniture, bedding/mattress etc. no need to pay duties/gst.

Is this correct interpretation?

See the heading of that paragraph, where it says, "The following goods will not qualify for duty-free entry, unless you can establish that they were for your own personal use prior to their arrival in New Zealand." (my bolding)

Then, the paragraph you quoted mentions "replacement electrical equipment".

So, two things to notice here. If you intend to bring your same 'TV, washer/fridge, cooker etc' that have been serving in your home overseas, those are NOT replacement electrical equipment, and so will not be dutiable.

If you intend to buy a new 'TV, washer/fridge, cooker etc' that will be better set up to work with the NZ electrical supply, and bring those from overseas, they would not be dutiable if you can show that you having been using them in your home overseas before shipping them.

The point that paragraph is making is that you will have to pay duty if you bring in NEW goods, avoiding buying from a NZ business. Some people need to replace some of their electrical goods for life in NZ, because the electricity supply in their home country is very different from what there is in NZ, which would make their stuff either difficult/expensive to adapt, or dangerous if used as is, and that's why this regulation mentions Replacement electrical equipment operating to New Zealand standards.

My impression was that any new electronics or transformers you buy (because your old appliances won't work in New Zealand) would be subject to charges. Because, why would you have used New Zealand electronics if you are just now moving there...

We bought our isolated transformer from Jaycar https://www.jaycar.co.nz The transformer is specific for US plug so we bought along our extension cord and plug our Canadian appliances.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    The point that paragraph is making is that you will have to pay duty if you bring in NEW goods, avoiding buying from a NZ business. Some people need to replace some of their electrical goods for life in NZ, because the electricity supply in their home country is very different from what there is in NZ, which would make their stuff either difficult/expensive to adapt, or dangerous if used as is, and that's why this regulation mentions Replacement electrical equipment operating to New Zealand standards.
    I suppose I just didn't understand what the term "replacement electrical equipment" implied. I'm coming from 220/240V country where the grid is compatible (except for plug) . Also it just seem a little redundant to mention it specifically when it is already explained that owned/used before date of arrival is not dutiable. Anyway, as long as it's not new and owned prior to arrival ... no need to pay tax/duty. That's reasonable i suppose.

Would buy new in NZ and not ship in a container. Maybe a few large boxes.

See my experiences
    https://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53856

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12