Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Update! (was - "California family - scouting NZ for a possible move to Nelson or Tauranga.")

Quote Originally Posted by kiwieagle View Post
    Welcome to the area everyone! I'm in Mapua. It's a great place (even after we were hit by Fehi and Gita).
    Thanks! Did you suffer any storm damage where you are? I read that some neighborhoods are still overwhelmed with silt and debris and aren't getting help from the city.

We just bought bikes...and suddenly the downpour begins again!! The summery weather was a nice welcome while it lasted...

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
    Thanks! Did you suffer any storm damage where you are? I read that some neighborhoods are still overwhelmed with silt and debris and aren't getting help from the city.

We just bought bikes...and suddenly the downpour begins again!! The summery weather was a nice welcome while it lasted...
    Yep, Fehi got us. I live in a two story house and the sea went right through it. We have one bedroom and lounge and kitchen upstairs. So, we're all camping out in the one bedroom for the next few months whilst repairs (hopefully) begin. I have invested in ear plugs.

I will keep my opinions on the council quietly to myself.

Luckily, Nelson and Tasman get lots of sunny days even when the weather has packed it in at other locataions. Fingers crossed you get to use those bikes!
    Last edited by kiwieagle; 23rd March 2018 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwieagle View Post
    Yep, Fehi got us. I live in a two story house and the sea went right through it. We have one bedroom and lounge and kitchen upstairs. So, we're all camping out in the one bedroom for the next few months whilst repairs (hopefully) begin. I have invested in ear plugs.

I will keep my opinions on the council quietly to myself.

Luckily, Nelson and Tasman get lots of sunny days even when the weather has packed it in at other locataions. Fingers crossed you get to use those bikes!
    OMG!! Yes I have heard there are many communities still struggling to return to normal, all with only the help of their neighbors. Does it have something to do with city limits, or is the council just dragging its feet? I hope your restoration proceeds smoothly.

We did get out on our bikes in some lovely weather - but the trails proved way too challenging for me at Codger's!! I was scared stiff before I was half done. I haven't been on a bike in over half a year, and I wiped out twice. I even broke my helmet I can't believe my 9 year old daughter made it unscathed! I think her bike has much better brakes, must get mine fixed. We actually had to have the brakes on all our new bikes switched L/R at a shop - I had no idea they did THAT backwards here too!!! I'm going to take a coaching class, and try Sylvan next time as I hear it's easier. The trails here may be world-class, but I'M not!!

Ahem... NZ doesn't think THEY do anything backwards!

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
    We actually had to have the brakes on all our new bikes switched L/R at a shop - I had no idea they did THAT backwards here too!!!
    What? What had to be switch left-to-right? The connection from the headset to the brake calipers? Why on earth would you "have" to do that?

Edit: So I've had a few more sips of coffee and thought about it and I'm guessing that it's so the rear brake is in your hand which remains on the bars if you are performing a hand signal. I suppose I can see where a legal requirement might come from, but I still don't see it as all that essential, I'm an avid cyclist and last year I did the UK end-to-end with my crazy "left hand drive" bicycle and never once had an issue with signaling and having the wrong brake in hand.

Also, I've seen some of your posts and know you're on your extended "reccie" trip, but have you already shipped your goods to NZ? I'm surprised to hear you're there with brand new "left hand drive" bicycles.
    Last edited by diallta; 28th March 2018 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by diallta View Post
    What? What had to be switch left-to-right? The connection from the headset to the brake calipers? Why on earth would you "have" to do that?

Edit: So I've had a few more sips of coffee and thought about it and I'm guessing that it's so the rear brake is in your hand which remains on the bars if you are performing a hand signal.
    I think you're sort of onto why we yanks would switch bicycle brakes from left-to-right, but really nothing to do with hand signals, although it should be because truth be told, I can't recall the last time I saw someone on a bike using proper hand signals.

In North America the front brake is controlled by the left caliper and the rear brake by the right. If you've grown up riding bikes you're used to using the rear brake primarily to slow/stop. It's "muscle memory". Suddenly grabbing the "wrong" brake could send you head over heals...and not in a good way.

So it's understandable that Juniper may be a little more comfortable riding a bike with brakes configured the way "they should be" as it were.
    Last edited by richsadams; 28th March 2018 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
    I think you're sort of onto why we yanks would switch bicycle brakes from left-to-right, but really nothing to do with hand signals, although it should be because truth be told, I can't recall the last time I saw someone on a bike using proper hand signals.

In North America the front brake is controlled by the left caliper and the rear brake by the right. If you've grown up riding bikes you're used to using the rear brake primarily to slow/stop. It's "muscle memory". Suddenly grabbing the "wrong" brake could send you head over heals...and not in a good way.

So it's understandable that Juniper may be a little more comfortable riding a bike with brakes configured the way "they should be" as it were.
    Yep that's it exactly :-) There's certainly no requirement, it's just more comfortable for us, especially being unfamiliar with the landscape as well. One less thing to worry about.

We haven't shipped any belongings as we don't have a residence visa yet, but we wanted to be able to live an approximation of our "everyday" lifestyle so we can figure out which area has the best fit for us, and that includes biking. Rentals would have added up so we talked ourselves into buying some. We have also bought a car. If we don't end up earning the right to stay, we'll just have to sell everything before our visitor's visa runs out.

Hi there! If you need help with your bikes give me a shout. I live here in Richmond right below the Sylvan bike park. Sylvan is easier than Codgers but still has bermed turns and a long steady climb. Have you ridden out to Rabbit Island? Fun tracks there as well. The brake swap left to right literally takes about five minutes so easy-peasy. Welcome to Nelson! We haven't regretted our move for a second and our kids thrive here! Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Heynekamp View Post
    Hi there! If you need help with your bikes give me a shout. I live here in Richmond right below the Sylvan bike park. Sylvan is easier than Codgers but still has bermed turns and a long steady climb. Have you ridden out to Rabbit Island? Fun tracks there as well. The brake swap left to right literally takes about five minutes so easy-peasy. Welcome to Nelson! We haven't regretted our move for a second and our kids thrive here! Cheers!
    Thanks, great to hear!

We did the quickie brake swap, but they're hydraulic so the tanks are upside down and I think that's why I couldn't control my bike well enough. The guy who did it said there was a more complex fix they could do but wanted to see if the quickie solution would be ok. That's a NOPE I'm not loving the bike in general though, it was used and kinda mediocre, we may sell so I can rent fancier bikes instead - I did much better when swapping for hubby's brand new one.

We're thinking of doing a family ride on Mon or Tues while the kids are still out of school. I'll PM you so we can continue this offline.

We ended up doing a coaching session with Gravity Nelson - it really helped! I had been using my brakes all wrong, trying to "pump" them in order to avoid skidding out, but it seems gradual and steady pressure works better. It will be a long time before I'm really comfortable with the actual mountain bike tracks, I didn't even get to learning how to go around berms - and those seem to be all over the place here.

At least we finally got a bike rack installed so we're not limited to what's right on our doorstep :-) We're in Hanmer Springs for a few days, and plan to do a family ride. It seems like bike trails are often promoted as one of the main "things to do" when visiting, and it sure beats renting bikes everywhere we go.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast