Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something I want to share

Default Something I want to share

Last night me and my partner applied for the same role from BNZ. Immediate after submitting the application she was forwarded an email to complete an online assessment but I only receive a "we have receive your application etc etc" email. The only different bits in our application is one part of the questionaire I ticked "work visa" but she ticked "citizen or residence". My partner has residence visa and I'm a post graduate work visa. That's must be the trigger for the automated assessment email since we send in the application in the wee hours.

In conclusion, can't they just openly bring it across the board that they don't want any work visa holder and only citizen/resident should bother sending in the application instead they would rather waste our(work visa holder) time ???

INZ expect work visa holder to find a skilled job and apply for SMC but in reality many companies shut their door to non residence holder so how the damn I can land myself a skill job in the first place ? Not everyone study in those high demand low "kiwi" supply jobs like engineer/IT/construction/health care.... bro

Thank you for sharing ysc5, unfortunately even though how employer appears to be fair and equal in-terms of hiring it's their priority to take on resident or citizen visa holder as a requirement to look for local people first before giving it to a work visa holder.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that there is no chance for work visa holder to land a job or something but as immigration tightened up they now require employer more due diligence to actually hire locals first before other class holder this is being done by the so called skills match report that goes through WINZ as well I think.

Lately in seek and indeed website I can see some employer having to put a work "only resident and citizen applicant can apply" but most don't really put this on their ads.

just my one cent.

i really don't understand. For example, 2 applicant, 1 with 10 years experience but work visa. Another with 0 experience with residence visa. Put aside the wages and other variables, who do u think should get the job ? In this case the guy with 0 experience because he has residence visa. Lol.

I reckon, Visa can be and should be a factor to consider when selecting job applicant, however it should not be the criteria before even the selection begins. Australia is at world stage before they do not practice 'visa' discrimination, none of my friends in oz have problem looking for jobs in bank with work visa.

I sympathise with your feelings faced with this discrimination in favour of residents and nationals. It must feel 'personal'. But it's not the company's choice, or responsibility. They HAVE to follow NZ immigration and employment legislation. For instance, here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/empl...al-skills-visa are the instructions to an employer thinking of recruiting a foreigner and supporting them for an essential skills visa.

thats unfortunate tragic and heart breaking for all hard working immigrants

Hi ysc5,

my partner applied for the very same position for a bank many times and was never invited for an interview. The day we had residence he landed the job that he applied to so many times immediately. So I do understand your feelings and agree.

It's true that it's a bit harsh of a reality, imagine if there is nothing like this I bet any organisation can get more productive people to work, unfortunately for those under work visa they have to stick to an employer to get their residency or go beyond the ordinary like moving outside Auckland or having to relocate to somewhere remote to get the job they want and that will match for immigration purposes.

With election not that far politicians are actively out in the open for whatever it is that can get them more votes, until such time when it's all settled let's wait whats the big change for immigrants or people wanting to go here in New Zealand for work or Education.

When I recruit for a role here at the university, the first thing I do is exclude the applications that have no right to work in NZ. Then, among the others, people with residence or citizenship (it's one question in our online application system) are moved ahead of people with work permits. Why? Because many work permits are role and company specific. So unless there are no qualified applications with unfettered right to accept any job, I am not inclined to risk having to recruit again in 1-2 years if it can be avoided. Which, by the way, I experienced as an applicant before getting this job, applying for NZ roles from Canada.

Hiring is rarely strictly about the "best" candidate. It's also about start dates, fit with existing team personalities, and often particular extra skills or knowledges beyond the advertised role. Even among interviewed candidates who are citizens or residents, I have hired someone ostensibly less qualified, but whom could do the job and seemed a better fit for our team. Which has meant more mentoring skill-wise, but less problems with conflict or communications.

Perhaps trying ticking the "residence/citizen" option, but include a scan of your unrestricted work permit when you apply online?

From employer's perspective, many don't want the hassle dealing with NZ Immigration Department.

All the paperworks...etc are just extra workload for HR, unless you are highly skilled and can not be recruited locally.

Thanks everyone for your spontaneous response to my whinny post.

I do feel inz need alternatives to their existing policy. I see many migrants were exploited because of their visa status. not something we should see in a first world country.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast