Thread: SMC prior work experience recognition

Default SMC prior work experience recognition

I have few queries regarding my prior work experience. I currently have a job offer and working as a lecturer and still stuck in complicated process of counting my prior work experience points.

1. Can I claim my overseas work experience points? I worked for about 2 years outside of NZ and consultants told me that this work experience will only fetch points if done in the "comparable labour market". They further said, because I worked in a country that is not part of a comparable labour market hence my prior work experience will not be counted. I argued with them that under this INZ instruction, if I have a NZ job offer than I am eligible to claim points for my work. (https://onlineservices.immigration.g...nual/30570.htm)

2. I have another question, related to NZ work experience points. There are 5 points for 1-year work experience in NZ. I worked for 1-year as a contractor with a college. Obviously it was not a full-time job. My contracts just mention the number of hours I spent in teaching. It does not mention the time I used to spend for preparing my lectures. Contractors are usually paid higher wage rate with the hope that it also accounts for their preparation time. For last 4 months I have full-time job (40hours). Can I claim 5 points by saying that 4-months of work experience with a full-time job and remaining 8-months from teaching and preparing lectures for my contracting job?

1.Okay, so SM11.10 b ii CAN overrule the requirement for work experience to be in a comparable labour market.

2. Let's see what other lecturers have found in similar situations. It looks to me like the run-up to a large argument with INZ, and I rather doubt that you would carry your point.