Thread: Q: Living Standards for Single Income Household, Urban Setting

Default Q: Living Standards for Single Income Household, Urban Setting

Hello All, New Here.

I am seriously tossing around the idea of working/living in NZ. I looked at my EoI score and I have a 150, just shy of applying for a visa outright apparently (160 minimum at this time). That's without a job offer. With a job offer that score is 210-240 depending on options.

I am looking at salaries and it seems Mechanical Engineers are getting the shaft. That said my current situation is that I am a single earner for myself, wife, son, and to be determined. I have 10 years experience in the power industry. I live in Charlotte, North Carolina currently and it is one of the cheapest places I have lived. I do not expect to keep my current standard if I would move to NZ as it looks more expensive and comes with a lower salary.

My question is what kind of standard of living could I expect in an urban environment with only a singer earner in NZ? Would an engineer need to live someplace more sub-urban or rural to afford 3 bedrooms? Which cities have better (lower) cost of living?

I have a lot more questions but I have just started to troll the forums and I'll ask those later.

Thanks
    -G

I have exactly the same question in my head too!

My situation is quite similar to gword256 which I am the single earner to support my family, included my wife and 2 daughters in child age. I have over 10 years experiences in ICT software development fields. For immigration process I'm now in ITA stage.

I don't mind to live in sub-urban or rural area to support 3 bedrooms, actually depends on where I can secure a job, I'm fine to live in either Auckland and Wellington. I'm intestested in where should I focus to search for rent house, which is easier to affort, with basic public transport, and is a safty area in term of public security.

This may be too early for me to worry about this issue, I'm just interested in this topic so will follow this post here

That question gets asked so many times, this thread was posted a few months back.
    https://www.enz.org/forum/showthread...2809&highlight

Quote Originally Posted by Fern49 View Post
    That question gets asked so many times, this thread was posted a few months back.
    https://www.enz.org/forum/showthread...2809&highlight
    Guess I need to look around the forums more. I wouldn't mind 130k though!