Thread: New English requirements... do I need UK school certificates etc..?

Default New English requirements... do I need UK school certificates etc..?

Hi there

So I'm just gathering our evidence needed for the Smc residency application which I am including my partner on.

Having read about the new English rules, it states that if you have UK citizenship that is not enough to prove your English language abilities, and they also require a 5 year evidence of study or working in the U.K.

My question is, what would count as study records? I Shoukd be fine as I've got my uni certificates which should cover that 5 year study stint. But my partner left school after finishing his GCSES. So does he need to root out his GCSE certificates etc? But that still doesn't necessarily prove 5 years of study... so would he need to get in touch with his old secondary school to try and get some kind of record of his attendance over 5 years? He has obviously been working in the U.K. since he left school, but either working in his home farm (not sure how we would prove that) and then as a self employed construction worker. Would payslips be acceptable proof?

Just trying to work out if that is the correct interpretation of the new English rules, and also if that's the correct action based on the rules. Any help / clarification much appreciated.

Many thanks!

Looking at the regulations https://onlineservices.immigration.g...nual/30541.htm, he has to show proof of five years' education or work in the country. If he has five years' pay slips, financial or tax records, that should be all right. Otherwise, a letter such as you mention would seem to be good. (The change in regulations is so recent that there have not been any stories of what people have done to prove this point.)

We included 5 years of P60s and my CV. We used an immigration lawyer - paid for by husband's employer and that was her recommendations. The character letter from friends and family all also mentioned the fact that we've been living in the UK since the start of our relationship and it was something she suggested we highlight as well.

Quote Originally Posted by em720 View Post
    Hi there

So I'm just gathering our evidence needed for the Smc residency application which I am including my partner on.

Having read about the new English rules, it states that if you have UK citizenship that is not enough to prove your English language abilities, and they also require a 5 year evidence of study or working in the U.K.

My question is, what would count as study records? I Shoukd be fine as I've got my uni certificates which should cover that 5 year study stint. But my partner left school after finishing his GCSES. So does he need to root out his GCSE certificates etc? But that still doesn't necessarily prove 5 years of study... so would he need to get in touch with his old secondary school to try and get some kind of record of his attendance over 5 years? He has obviously been working in the U.K. since he left school, but either working in his home farm (not sure how we would prove that) and then as a self employed construction worker. Would payslips be acceptable proof?

Just trying to work out if that is the correct interpretation of the new English rules, and also if that's the correct action based on the rules. Any help / clarification much appreciated.

Many thanks!
    Hi There,

We have just had a similar thing. I included my husbands GCSE grades and A levels plus his diploma, as well as a letter from his current employer (of nearly 3 years) and Australian employer (6 months) payslips and CV. Plus a letter from a JOP. Yet none of this was deemed sufficient as they needed exact dates etc. So have now gone back to his previous employers and schools to ask for letters of attendance, hopefully this should suffice. If not he will have to do a IELTS exam which seems insane given that he is English and therefore its his first language. My advice to you would be to try and get letters of attendance from past schools as well as letters from employers. Make sure they state a start and finish date as well as his positional. Also note that it doesn't have to be just from the UK but can be from NZ, Aus, Canada and America as well. Hope this is of help
    Last edited by emparker88; 29th June 2017 at 02:35 AM.

Thank you for the helpful information.

If your husband does end up having to take the IELTS test, get him to look at the preparatory material and practice tests online. This test is designed for people who have learnt English as a foreign language, which is totally different from how it is taught as a school subject to people whose first language it is. People wanting to nurse in NZ have to take the IELTS test, even if they're native speakers, and there have been quite a lot of those who have failed to get high enough marks at their first attempt, just because they're not prepared for the kind of questions asked.

Quote Originally Posted by movingsiren View Post
    We included 5 years of P60s and my CV. We used an immigration lawyer - paid for by husband's employer and that was her recommendations. The character letter from friends and family all also mentioned the fact that we've been living in the UK since the start of our relationship and it was something she suggested we highlight as well.
    Thank you! this is a great tip re the character letter, and I'll include the CV too, thank you!!

emparker thanks for the reply, we will definitely be getting letters of attendance from his school, hopefully that will avoid the test situation! thanks again for the reply.

Thank you JandM, this is a useful tip! much appreciated.