Thread: Post Study (Employer Assisted) to Essential Skills Work Visa

Question Post Study (Employer Assisted) to Essential Skills Work Visa

I was wondering, let's say you don't qualify for SMC at the end of the 2 years Employer Assisted Work Visa (10 points short), would it be easier to apply for an Essential Skills Visa with that same employer? The only hassle seems to be the requirement of proving no Kiwis were available for the job, but one would think this shouldn't be necessary if you had been working for that employer for the last 2 years. I mean, what would be the point of asking the employer to prove such thing when they already have someone they trust working for them for the last 2 years?

The only hassle seems to be the requirement of proving no Kiwis were available for the job, but one would think this shouldn't be necessary if you had been working for that employer for the last 2 years. I mean, what would be the point of asking the employer to prove such thing when they already have someone they trust working for them for the last 2 years?
    Sorry - the requirement for a labour market check is absolute. Essential Skills visas, like any temporary work visas, ARE intended to be temporary, that is, only issued for a limited period of time, when needed. And INZ don't accept that, just because a foreigner is settled in a job and the employer is satisfied with him/her, s/he should keep that job IF there is a NZ national or resident available to do it instead.

I understand

Thanks for your help!

does an employer have to advertise for post study work visa (employer assisted). or is it just for essential still visa? my friend have completed his cookery course and wants to apply for employer assisted post study work visa. thanks

No. Please remember, the different visas and the criteria are all explained on the INZ website. You just use the search, and enter the name of the visa you are wondering about. Here is the one for the post-study work visa (employer assisted). https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...isted#criteria