Thread: Pathway to permanent residency

Default Pathway to permanent residency

As for those who now have their residencies, according to Immigration NZ the pathway to residency:

If you were the principal applicant of the original residence application, you can obtain a Permanent Resident Visa if you:

have held your resident visa for at least two years, and
    have met any conditions of your Resident Visa, and
    have shown a commitment to New Zealand in one of the five ways that meet our requirements.

Commitments:

There are five ways you can show us your commitment to living in New Zealand permanently. We need to see evidence of at least one of them

1. You have spent enough time in New Zealand
    2. You have New Zealand tax residence status
    3. You have invested in New Zealand
    4. You have a business in New Zealand
    5. You have established a base in New Zealand

(source: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...anent-resident)

QUESTIONS/DISCUSSION POINTS

1. If the rules towards the pathway to Permanent Residency changes, will that effect those who received their residencies before those changes?
    2. What is the likelihood of policy changes for residents to become permanent residents?
    3. If a resident gives birth to a Child, will the Child have NZ citizenship? (the reason I am asking this question is because I didn't find a clear enough answer to this online. I also think that it is the birthright of a child to be able to call the country home where it is born and will grow up in - the child should be able to call it its home without any barrier to it).

Thanks. Hope to have your inputs

1. Yes, I think so. Within the last few years, a stricter character check was introduced as part of the requirements for PR, and that has caught out some Residents who had been caught drunk driving, for instance.

2. I don't expect any very sweeping changes, but possibly some tweaks of details. NZ residents have the vote, and laws are made and changed by politicians, so the government aren't likely to introduce something that will alienate people that put them in power.

3. A child born in NZ to a NZ resident is a NZ citizen by right from birth. http://www.howtolaw.co/become-a-new-...citizen-392140