Thread: What to WEAR???/!!!!

Default What to WEAR???/!!!!

Good day,

I am from Jamaica which means tropical climate and will be moving to Wellington in October 2017.I would like to purchase outdoor clothing suitable for the weather online as based on what I read it is cheaper to do so than to wait until I get to NZ.

Can persons who live in Wellington provide me with a list of the type of clothing I should be buying? Please be as specific as possible as I have NO knowledge of anything 'wintery' (just made up that word) as it relates to clothing. So for example instead of just saying jackets, specific the type of jacket.

Really appreciate the help. Thanks much

If you are moving in October it will be spring. So windy and wet but not freezing. You need layers really. There are lots of places in Wellington to get jackets etc. I think you should wait until you are there. You definitely need a waterproof jacket. Things like merino T-shirts and hoodies.

If you look on this website https://www.wunderground.com/nz/wellington and check the History section, you'll find that you can check back through the whole year to see exactly what the weather has been like - temperature, rainfall, wind strength, humidity - every day. This can give you a better idea than someone else's impression, when they may come from a different part of the world, so what they are acclimatized to can be very different also.

Hi,

Although you'll be arriving in Spring, you might find it very cold. It obviously depends on you, how quickly you tend to acclimate to new weather patterns, and what you're used to in temperatures. I arrived in Spring from Southern California and I was freezing for a year. What I wore that first September/October is actually very different than how I'd dress now. Bring layers. Merino, wool, and polyprop long sleeve undershirts are good under a tshirt or sweater. A warm woolen jacket or a down puffer jacket will keep you nice and warm with layers. That would be too hot for me now at that time of year and I know there are some people who never really acclimate so, your mileage may vary. I think having a waterproof jacket that can be worn with layers or that has a 3 in 1 type lining that can be zipped in and out is a necessity for everyone regardless of what you're used to.

I hope that helps a little.

We moved from Canada and still need to buy lots of thermal underwear living in Auckland since houses here do not generally have central heating and double glazed windows. However, thermals are cheap (2 for $40) and warm https://www.macpac.co.nz/mens/therma...rmals-polypros You will also need rain jackets, Gore Tex jacket is definitely more expensive in NZ Check out Macpac or Kathmandu http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/ websites for prices for winter jackets. Most of the time, we just need to wear a fleece jacket or a light weight down jacket plus a Gore Tex jacket for rainy days. Compared to Vancouver, Auckland is definitely warmer, still haven't worn my usual woolly hat, gloves or scarf yet!

Good day guys... thank you so much for all the responses... just so that we are on the same page... for spring basically all we need right now are:

1. rain jacket--- for rain ofc
    2. fleece/wool/hoodie jacket-----for wind