Thread: Please Update Me. I really do not understand

Default Please Update Me. I really do not understand

In the NZ site for partners I read this .

Overview

DURATION
    Indefinitely

With this visa you can

Live, work, and study in New Zealand.
    Include dependent children, aged 24 and under, in your visa application.
    Things to note

If your partner’s New Zealand residence is based on their Australian citizenship, Australian permanent residence or resident return visa, you can only apply for this visa if your partner lives in New Zealand.
    If your partner is a New Zealand citizen and the two of you have been living together outside of New Zealand for 5 years or more, you may be granted a permanent resident visa. Your partner will need to be either overseas when you apply, or have been back in New Zealand for less than 3 months.

My question is ...living with my wife outside New Zealand for more than a year , I can't apply for resident straight away? I am very confused here .
    Last edited by onyiking; 11th July 2017 at 06:22 AM.

You need to have lived outside of NZ with your partner for 5 years or more to apply for residency. You can not apply for residency after living outside of NZ for Just over 1 year.

If you have been living together outside NZ for less than 5 years you could apply for partnership work visa

[QUOTE=Jinkello;563632]You need to have lived outside of NZ with your partner for 5 years or more to apply for residency. You can not apply for residency after living outside of NZ for Just over 1 year.
    No its more complicated than that, more to follow
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 11th July 2017 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinkello View Post
    You need to have lived outside of NZ with your partner for 5 years or more to apply for residency. You can not apply for residency after living outside of NZ for Just over 1 year.

If you have been living together outside NZ for less than 5 years you could apply for partnership work visa
    It is not talking about residency, it is talking about permanent residency.

Quote Originally Posted by onyiking View Post
    In the NZ site for partners I read this .

Overview

DURATION
    Indefinitely

With this visa you can

Live, work, and study in New Zealand.
    Include dependent children, aged 24 and under, in your visa application.
    Things to note

If your partner’s New Zealand residence is based on their Australian citizenship, Australian permanent residence or resident return visa, you can only apply for this visa if your partner lives in New Zealand.
    If your partner is a New Zealand citizen and the two of you have been living together outside of New Zealand for 5 years or more, you may be granted a permanent resident visa. Your partner will need to be either overseas when you apply, or have been back in New Zealand for less than 3 months.

My question is ...living with my wife outside New Zealand for more than a year , I can't apply for resident straight away? I am very confused here .
    You should always refer to INZ Instructions at https://onlineservices.immigration.g...nual/index.htm
    (specifically residence/family category/ partner of NZ citizen

Note also the difference between residence and permanent residence (many commentaries here from JandM as to the difference).

If you are an expat New Zealander ( 5 or more years absent from NZ, or less then 3 months returned,( then you partner may be granted permanent residence, rather than residence.
    To be granted either you will have to demonstrate that you have meet the 12 month living together requirement at the time the application is considered.

Note that all residecne applications are now being moved onshore, so what happened in previous cases will no longer be relevant.

jinkello i saw this on the residency page
    https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...RA&applying=no
    'Your relationship with your partner
    You and your partner must have been living together in a genuine and stable relationship for 12 months or more'' i mean Residence visa not PR .
    honestly you have got me more confused than ever now . is this your information really right ? my question is ''can i apply for a residence visa *NOT PERMANENT RESIDENT* direct from offshore with 12
    months and more proof of relationship?

Ok. So with 12months or more proofs showing we are living together in a genuine relationship I am eligible to apply for Resident straight away? I don't mean permanent I read that clearly it requires 5 years or more .

I am not talking about Residency not permanent... Can i apply for resident if I have lived and still living with my wife outside of New Zealand for 1year + .... NOT PERMANENT RESIDENT.
    I am getting confused here

Quote Originally Posted by onyiking View Post
    I am not talking about Residency not permanent... Can i apply for resident if I have lived and still living with my wife outside of New Zealand for 1year + .... NOT PERMANENT RESIDENT.
    I am getting confused here
    If you have evidecne that at the time your partners application is assessed, that you have lived together for 12 months or more (doesn't matter where), then your partner can apply for residence. If you (as a NZ citizen) have been out of NZ for more than 5 years and are returning, or have returned in the last 3 months, then your partner may be granted permanent residence.

I'd ignore Jinkellos comment.
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 11th July 2017 at 01:01 PM.

Agreed.