Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sharing the estimates I got for 40' container California ---> Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post
    I am not sure it is the same company, I just had a box (6ccm) shipped from Germany and the New Zealand side was handled (in Christchurch) by a company called World Moving (just had a look at an old email, they are situated in Auckland). I had to send some documents to them (online), and then the only contact there was was to advise me that my goods had arrived and would be transported to our place (via road) on that date, would that be ok. No fees (I was advised that depending on MPI/ customs there could be some additional ones), no questions asked .., everything arrived in excellent shape.
    World Moving is the local partner for my quote from International Van Lines. They have a nice website, but it's good to hear on-the-ground stories :-) Several of our quotes do mention they only cover certain port fees, i.e. the ones they can predict, I suppose? What fees are they trying to get you to fork over, @ScottNZ?

We moved from Vancouver BC to Auckland using Allied Pickfords. Door to door service, packed and unpacked everything for us, including insurance we paid CAD$ 8500 for a 20ft container. We only filled up half the container and we also paid extra $600 wooden crate for our piano. The company sent someone to our apartment to do accurate estimate and addressed our concern regarding packaging delicate oil paintings. We did some of the unpacking ourselves but the company came back to collect the packing boxes after we finished. The people who unpacked our stuff into our Auckland house complemented how well the Vancouver guys packed our furniture.
    Last edited by Auckland2016; 15th July 2017 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
    World Moving is the local partner for my quote from International Van Lines. They have a nice website, but it's good to hear on-the-ground stories :-) Several of our quotes do mention they only cover certain port fees, i.e. the ones they can predict, I suppose? What fees are they trying to get you to fork over, @ScottNZ?
    I suppose you'll have to factor in that MPI wants to see some of your stuff, and if they decide that items have to be fumigated, you would need to pay for that, too. It would be almost impossible for the overseas company to calculate those costs.
    When we originally moved here, our container was shipped to Dunedin (where we lived at the time), and we did have to pay a small amount for customs, as well as for storage, which we had hoped to not need. But everything else was covered by the amount we had paid our German shipping company.
    Same this time- the quote I got from the German company (and even for a relatively small load they did send someone out to make an estimate, and that was done very thoroughly) covered everything except those fees that might have occurred here in New Zealand. Since there were none (no inspection by MPI, no customs fees due to them -obviously- accepting that it was inherited goods), the invoice I had in Germany and paid in advance covered everything.

Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post
    ...the invoice I had in Germany and paid in advance covered everything.
    I had wondered about that, too. It seemed weird to me to pay EVERYTHING up front before you even receive your stuff! I'd like to hear more anecdotes about payment structures, too - Did anyone get billed for at least part of the expense after stuff was moved into your home, or was everything payable around the time your container was loaded?

I had one company say they would bill me only for "origin" services if I was going to put my stuff into storage for awhile, and then bill the rest when I was ready to ship a container. (This is pretty much moot now since we decided against using them for storage, but it was nice to have that flexibility in procedure.)

We paid half when the stuff was loaded into ship and then the rest when the container arrived at Auckland, it seemed fair to me. One thing I liked about our move was that they had the container parked outside our building and loaded our stuff directly into it and sealed the container in front of us. The company would store our stuff in Auckland for a week for free but afterwards would need to pay for storage. Luckily we had rented our house already so didn't need to use the storage service.

Quote Originally Posted by Auckland2016 View Post
    We paid half when the stuff was loaded into ship and then the rest when the container arrived at Auckland, it seemed fair to me. One thing I liked about our move was that they had the container parked outside our building and loaded our stuff directly into it and sealed the container in front of us. The company would store our stuff in Auckland for a week for free but afterwards would need to pay for storage. Luckily we had rented our house already so didn't need to use the storage service.
    Yes, half up front and half when it gets to the next port seems much more reasonable :-)

We will be having our container loaded from a self-storage facility, so now I have to call around and make sure that the giant rig will be able to make all the turns into the parking lot!

I paid "half" up front as well. I paid for the first part of the shipping when they took my stuff and the second part of the shipping when the container arrived in Nelson. It wasn't quite 50/50 but pretty close.

Make sure they can load the container where you intend. When I moved, they told me that California law didn't allow them to unload container off of truck so I had to load the container while it was on the truck. I requested that they make sure the container wasn't in the middle of the truck bed and was at the end so it was easier to load.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwieagle View Post
    Make sure they can load the container where you intend. When I moved, they told me that California law didn't allow them to unload container off of truck so I had to load the container while it was on the truck. I requested that they make sure the container wasn't in the middle of the truck bed and was at the end so it was easier to load.
    Oh, weird! Most companies seemed to be talking about dropping off a container, but maybe it's still on a truck bed? I'll look into that.

The storage places each have their own take on the matter, as well. Some property managers say they're not allowed, or even a fire hazard if it blocks other units, while other locations have experience with container drop offs. It all seems to depend on if there is some extra nook they can put the container in, which I guess means a "long carry" charge from the movers most likely...but it still sounds better than charges to load a truck, take it to a container, unload a truck, and load a container!

Bad experience with UPackWeShip.

Can't remember who we used but it was a 20ft container and approx $10K US for 4 bed house from DC to Cambridge NZ in 2011. I think we used Rainier.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast