Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sharing the estimates I got for 40' container California ---> Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by ScottNZ View Post
    Bad experience with UPackWeShip.
    Thank you - I read the thread with your full review, just horrific! At least one of our quotes involved World Moving, so I will keep that in mind. What city?

Quote Originally Posted by Hagabel View Post
    Can't remember who we used but it was a 20ft container and approx $10K US for 4 bed house from DC to Cambridge NZ in 2011. I think we used Rainier.
    Thanks, Hagabel! I am leaning toward Rainier, so far I like their swift communication and patience with all my odd questions/special accommodations :-) I just have to convince hubby it's worth the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
    Thanks, Hagabel! I am leaning toward Rainier, so far I like their swift communication and patience with all my odd questions/special accommodations :-) I just have to convince hubby it's worth the price.
    Tell him its cheaper than buying all that stuff here in NZ!!!

I hit several snags on a 20' self pack from Florida to Nelson, delivery to Marlborough. The $6k quote ended up cost $Us 9k and took more than three months. Worst problem came when US customs decided to do an export inspection...at my cost. Further changes in port at Nelson. Make sure to read the fine print. Also, if you are good with second hand / antique furniture, there are good buys to be made in NZ. Don't listen to people who say everything is so expensive. I would never again ship a dining room set or bureau...or sofa...to NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
    It looks a bit messy in the posts above, I can email the Numbers file to anyone who wants to mess with it for their own move :-) Message me.
    I'd love to see the full numbers sheet.... I've yet to make the 5 posts that allow me to message you... I'm sure I will reach that number of posts before too long :-)

F.

If there isn't anything in particular you want to say, you can add one-word posts on this thread to boost you up to the five.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    If there isn't anything in particular you want to say, you can add one-word posts on this thread to boost you up to the five.
    Ta - think I'm nearly there. Actually I managed to copy paste the spreadsheet from thew thread ok, and now repopulating it with quotes I am gathering. I really agree that it is so hard to compare quotes due to so many variables, but I am getting a feel now for the various options.

Quote Originally Posted by frstep View Post
    Ta - think I'm nearly there. Actually I managed to copy paste the spreadsheet from thew thread ok, and now repopulating it with quotes I am gathering. I really agree that it is so hard to compare quotes due to so many variables, but I am getting a feel now for the various options.
    ... and now post number 5. One of the big questions is self-pack or shipper-pack. The advantages of the latter being insurance and (maybe) easier customs checks, but given we are not taking everything, effectively we are going to have to handle pretty much every item before any packers come... so time saving won't be all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by frstep View Post
    ... and now post number 5. One of the big questions is self-pack or shipper-pack. The advantages of the latter being insurance and (maybe) easier customs checks, but given we are not taking everything, effectively we are going to have to handle pretty much every item before any packers come... so time saving won't be all that much.
    Hi, sorry I haven't checked in for awhile since I've been on the road! I'm glad you found a way to import the data yourself :-)

I would definitely consider self-pack if I thought we were physically capable. Any money we saved would probably be spent on physical therapy, lol...just moving out of the house and into storage was a crazy ordeal, even with professional movers involved. There is always more work than you think.

What I can't decide is whether full replacement value insurance is even worth it. The shippers need to do hours and hours of inventory (which costs a bundle for their time), checking the condition of all the pieces of furniture, and many places insist on packing it themselves if you want full insurance - so add even more $$$$. And then if you actually do need to do a claim, my instincts just tell me all the documentation and phone calls that would require would destroy my will to live. I dealt with something like that on a LOCAL move and it was hell. On the other hand, it feels kind of weird to only get the "in case it all falls off the boat" insurance. Ugh.

@sandgrubber - oh man, what a nightmare! 50% increase after all that effort...buying secondhand does sound like it could make a lot of sense. I personally can't face all the shopping it would involve, after all the fun we've had simply getting rid of the dead weight! I'll probably regret it, heh...but I am so done with yard sales/goodwill/craigslist for awhile!

Very useful info, thanks for posting!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast