Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharing the estimates I got for 40' container California ---> Nelson

Lightbulb Sharing the estimates I got for 40' container California ---> Nelson

I thought it might be useful for those pricing their move to see the wide range of estimates I received for a 40' container shipment. And those of you who've already done the move can tell me if these seem reasonable :-) It was impossible to create a really "apples to apples" spreadsheet, because everyone bid different levels of service, and if they were willing to break down the costs into line items for me, they each had their own way of doing so.

The cheapo ones are self-pack, and not even door-to-door service, so I didn't get more details on those. The more detailed columns are those who were patient with my nonstop questions (no seriously, tell me what I am buying for $14000 USD...), and it was easy to weed out the ones who couldn't put up with that level of customer service to make a sale!

Another good indicator of who you should choose - companies that offer to send someone out for an in-person estimate. Their local partner should be willing to do this, even if they are an offshore company. Only two companies offered to do this - Rainier and Conroy. The others relied on average numbers for number of bedrooms/bathrooms, or asked me to complete an online inventory (and how am I supposed to know how many boxes I'll have?)

I'll paste the spreadsheet below...
    Last edited by Juniper; 14th July 2017 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Attachments too small.

International Van Lines Locatelli Conroy Rainier City International Aris Export Legend International
    Total estimate
    $13961.00
    $14600.00
    $23295 NZD
    $13425.00
    $5787.45
    $3980.00
    $10,936.00
    Deposit required?

“Full payment required before uplift, expect hourly rate removals where payment is required on completion” $250, refundable up to 7 days before pickup date

Type of service 40’ container door to door with full pack 40’ container from warehouse to Nelson 40’ container door to door, with packing 40’ container door to door, with packing Door to port, self-pack 20’ container door to port, self-pack and self-load 40’ container door to door
    Estimated weight

10,900 lbs 10000 lbs

Estimated cu ft

“60 cubic meters” 1800 cu ft 1429 cu ft

rate calculated by:

cu ft x $4.05

Professional packing total $3000 for pack, load, materials
    Included. -$520 NZD if self-pack “clothing, books, toys” (only $520??) included

add $1250
    Estimated hours

Estimated supplies

included included

Large furniture disassembly?

included No

Continued below...I'm getting some weird character count limit

Wrapping furniture and loading truck included
    $8200 NZD for all “origin services” $4250 for all “origin services” included No included
    How many guys / hourly rate

Estimated hours

Drive time

Storage rate/mo $.40/Cu ft (up to $800 for contents of a 40’ container)
    $475 with Schumacher $475 per 30days with Move-Pros $.75/cu ft
    $400 (may need size adjustment)
    Storage handling

$650.00
    $875.00

$800.00
    Free month?

included in handling
    Loading container included
    included included included No included
    drayage (container trucking) $820 (incl)

$800.00
    included additional $680 to Santa Cruz included

US Port stuff

included included

Inventory?

yes
    Yes No
    export docs?

yes Yes Yes Yes Yes

US port fees?

yes Yes
    Yes
    customs clearance

Yes Yes
    Ocean freight
    $4711.00

$9770 NZD including origin and destination port fees
    $5750.00
    included included included
    Marine insurance

optional $2,760 for $120k worth of accidental loss/damage not included. $25 per $1000 value ($250 deductible)

NZ port fees
    $1405.00

included included

THC included? (terminal handling charge) $1000 incl.
    yes yes No No
    NZ quarantine (required for all shipments)

$570 “if required” (thought it was mandatory…) additional $590

NZ mover - to Nelson
    $3025.00

$4675 NZD within 30 miles of Nelson $2625 including port charges (he lumped all destination charges together)
    NOT included

unpacking

“unpacking, placement of items, removal of waste packaging” “unpacking to flat surfaces and removal of debris”

2.5% surcharge for credit card

Not included

customs duties/tax, quarantine, fumigation, steam cleaning, storage, etc etc Import customs taxes and duties, any charges related to customs inspection, quarantine and fumigation, demurrages, other unreasonable or unpredictable stuff etc etc

Contact Judy Misty / Juan Nicole David / Audrey / Jackie

phone 954-510-4483 ext. 228 831-425-7775 +64 6 280 5207 206-462-3628 / (510) 818-1126 / 800-946-8852

email judy@internationalvanlines.com locatellims@aol.com nicolep@conroy.co.nz davew@rainieros.com / audreyc@movepros.com /

website http://internationalvanlines.com/ www.locatellimoving.com www.conroy.co.nz www.RainierOS.com /

http://www.legendinternationaltransport.com/
    ratings https://www.consumeraffairs.com/home...van-lines.html

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/view...?p=31171#31171

local partner

www.movepros.com

ratings

NZ partner http://www.worldmoving.co.nz/ Raymond@worldmoving.co.nz
    themselves

ratings http://www.movingscam.com/forum/view...ghlight=moving

It looks a bit messy in the posts above, I can email the Numbers file to anyone who wants to mess with it for their own move :-) Message me.

The 20' door to port self pack and load is equivalent to what I paid. If you have heaps of great stuff, I guess it's worth it to pay 10-20k? I fit a 3 bedroom home into a 20' with loads of room left.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwieagle View Post
    The 20' door to port self pack and load is equivalent to what I paid. If you have heaps of great stuff, I guess it's worth it to pay 10-20k? I fit a 3 bedroom home into a 20' with loads of room left.
    Thanks for the feedback :-) So, did you also do door to port, self-pack? Or did you get more services for that price?

May want to check out UPakWeShip. We paid $5,510 for a 20' container Minnesota->Christchurch. Second time using them, so we are a repeat customer if that is any indication of their quality. Service so far has been great.

However: got an e-mail from a local firm out of Auckland they subcontract with called World Moving and Storage stating some additional NZ based fees may apply. So we MIGHT have a fight against some sleazy and dishonest practices. Then again maybe not. Stay tuned...

Quote Originally Posted by ScottNZ View Post
    May want to check out UPakWeShip. We paid $5,510 for a 20' container Minnesota->Christchurch. Second time using them, so we are a repeat customer if that is any indication of their quality. Service so far has been great.

However: got an e-mail from a local firm out of Auckland they subcontract with called World Moving and Storage stating some additional NZ based fees may apply. So we MIGHT have a fight against some sleazy and dishonest practices. Then again maybe not. Stay tuned...
    I am not sure it is the same company, I just had a box (6ccm) shipped from Germany and the New Zealand side was handled (in Christchurch) by a company called World Moving (just had a look at an old email, they are situated in Auckland). I had to send some documents to them (online), and then the only contact there was was to advise me that my goods had arrived and would be transported to our place (via road) on that date, would that be ok. No fees (I was advised that depending on MPI/ customs there could be some additional ones), no questions asked .., everything arrived in excellent shape.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast