Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sharing the estimates I got for 40' container California ---> Nelson

Juniper,
    Can you send me a link to your wonderful spreadsheet? My email is [Email removed in line with Forum Rule 10. https://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40236]

[QUOTE=Jynxee;567144]Juniper,
    Can you send me a link to your wonderful spreadsheet? My email is [Email removed in line with Forum Rule 10. https://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40236]

Sure, try this google doc! You have to double click on cells that have lots of text, I had trouble making the words wrap...
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So I did end up going with Rainier, which cost $10,625 USD door to door, from storage in the California Bay Area to our house in New Plymouth. For some reason, the ship came in at Tauranga, then everything had to be sent by rail to Auckland, then it arrived by truck to our home. The company that handled the NZ side of things was World Moving and Storage, and it was a pretty painless process. I had to fill out a few forms and pay some standard import fees, but it was nice having someone else interface with customs. I never heard about any hitches in the process, although delivery was slowed down quite a bit by Christmas, and the ship arriving a week late. All normal stuff, I'm sure.

Very little if any breakage, after all the hands our stuff passed through, it's hard to say what might have been caused by the journey here and what happened when put into storage. Probably nothing worth an insurance claim, as it's all usable still. The inventory wasn't as complete as it could have been, but I don't seem to have anything missing. I think, lol... All in all, par for the course, and I would use Rainier again.

Thanks for the update!!!!

Wow that's a pretty huge variance in some of those prices. For $14K you'd better get excellent service. Hell, they should do your taxes and laundry too.

Quote Originally Posted by gonger View Post
    Wow that's a pretty huge variance in some of those prices. For $14K you'd better get excellent service. Hell, they should do your taxes and laundry too.
    Haha, yeah I wish! With insurance (ouch) that added over $3k, plus a $1k shuttle service (trucking my stuff from storage unit to the container facility, about 1.5 hr drive? Labor for another load/unload) so it was in fact about $14,500 USD all told.

The cheapest options cited were self-pack, door to PORT. So you would still have to deal with thousands more to get your stuff from the port to your house, probably deal with all the customs stuff yourself, plus all the wrapping and heavy lifting were not possible for us. Even for some of the quotes that seemed to be comparable, they would sometimes leave out important charges like THC (terminal handling charge, not optional), so it wasn't truly complete. I didn't like that they would seem to come in under complete quotes, but not be up front about that.

Rainier's quote was complete, and their communication was excellent which is a vital factor. We were also lucky enough to get a relocation allowance from my husband's new company that pretty much covered all of it :-)
    Last edited by Juniper; 9th May 2019 at 01:19 PM.

I should add that the customs "quarantine compliance" and "formal clearance" added up to $834 NZD. This is not something your shipping company can quote for you, as it's up to customs. We furthermore had to pay over $300 GST charges for 4 bottles of alcohol and 97 grams of tobacco, because we didn't realize the duty free allowance only works for ACCOMPANIED baggage, i.e. stuff you bring in your luggage.

This is very helpful. I’m planning to move back to the US. Did you look into the reputation of any of these companies? Not that it’s the same going in the other direction but they need to have partners at this end. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sbranca View Post
    This is very helpful. I’m planning to move back to the US. Did you look into the reputation of any of these companies? Not that it’s the same going in the other direction but they need to have partners at this end. Thanks.
    There’s not a lot on the internet, reviews for movers are almost always bad because pissed people are the most motivated. However this site was a bit helpful:
    https://www.movingscam.com/

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234