Thread: Resident to PR App - Do I still need to be with my partner?

Default Resident to PR App - Do I still need to be with my partner?

I'm really sorry if this has been asked before (I had a quick search).

I've come to the end of my 2 years residency and now its time to apply for Permenant Residency. The thing is I have recently split up with my girlfriend (NZ Citizen), and was wondering if that would cause an issue with getting permenant residency?

If needed, I came here on a working holiday visa, then partnership visas, then Residency visa (were still together then).

Is there a chance it will be declined on the basis I'm no longer with the NZ Citizen?

Thanks in advanced

No, it's fine. Everyone has to have a reason to be granted Residence, for instance, their skilled job, or (as for you) their relationship with a NZ citizen or resident. But once full Residence is granted, it's yours, free and clear, the requirements leading up to the grant not having any more relevance. You only have to meet the conditions set out for the grant of PR. See here, and the links off this page. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...anent-resident

Thanks very much for that, quite a relief,

Is it me or is the application form on INZ 1175 a bit confusing? On page 10 Ive completed Part A Resident Visa Holders, then at the bottom it states 'complete section D: Permenant resident visa. I go to the next page and its Part B Former Resident Visa holders, and after that it is Section K Paying your application fee.

I'm assuming I dont complete Part B, and just complete the fee details? I'm assuming it is talking about section D on page 5, which has already been completeed? bit strange to do that

I think you're right. It's one of those forms which might be filled in by people in different situations, and there are sections which any of them will have to ignore, since they're meant for other people. Put a line through it and write, 'Not applicable.'