Thread: Meeting the criteria for applying for Permanent Resident Visa - confusion on "Resident visa status" at the time of PR application

Default Meeting the criteria for applying for Permanent Resident Visa - confusion on "Resident visa status" at the time of PR application

Dear JandM, everyone

I have few questions regarding meeting the criteria for applying for Permanent Resident Visa.

This link here it states under the "Resident visa status" section that you must hold a valid resident visa or have held one in the last 3 months.

If you click on the text "EVIDENCE", then it says " if the resident visa expired more than 3 months ago, then you won’t be eligible for a permanent resident visa but you may be able to apply for another resident visa.".

Could you please elaborate the terms "resident visa expired" and "held one in the last 3 months" ?

Does it mean that the principal applicant was outside NZ after two years of his first NZ entry date? and thus his RV is expired/invalid ?

Not sure if this text was in INZ website from the beginning or added recently.

I hope that the terms "expired" and "invalid" refers to the same thing( meaning the person does not have a valid RV ).

Just quoting the words from my visa label: "Visa valid for further travel for 24 month(s) from first arrival. Initial stay subject to grant of entry permission. Visa is invalid if holder is outside NZ with expired travel conditions. Please apply for transfer of this visa when the passport expires."

In fact, I entered NZ on 10th January 2017, and am currently living outside NZ. I am going to be out of NZ till 31st December 2018. I will enter NZ well before 9th January 2019 and will remain for two years in NZ (I.E, till January 2021 when I can apply for PRV).

So, in this scenario, I guess that, my Resident Visa does not expire(or becomes invalid) on or after 10 January 2019 because I am in NZ before 10 January 2019.

Thank you for your valuable time and replies.

Sorry if my question sounds stupid.. I would like to understand these specific terms and phrases used, and ensure that I can apply for PRV in Jan 2021.

You will be fine if you do what you describe. A Residence visa lasts forever while the holder IS IN NEW ZEALAND. It only becomes invalid if the holder is outside NZ without travel conditions because they have expired. As long as you get back before your travel conditions run out, your Residence will not expire, but will continue in force while you live in NZ and spend the time to qualify for PR.

That is great to know , it is really a big relief

Thank you very much JandM.