Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings and question on the options for our son to join us in NZ

Default Greetings and question on the options for our son to join us in NZ

Hi all,

Nice to come back here
    We have been granted SMC Residence Visa in February 2017 and are preparing our move to Wellington this year end.
    This forum and its members and admins have been awesome in answering all of our questions and giving us all the strength and advices we needed in what I can call our desperate moments and we are very thankful for that, especially to JandM and some members who gave us very good advices in PM.
    We also had the chance to have an awesome and very human CO who helped and supported us a lot in the last stages of our process, and I am sure all of them are trying their best when they process all of our applications.

So here I am again for some additional questions, not for us, but for our son...
    At the time of application, we indicated our son as "custom child" in the application (he is not adopted so is not our son legally but we have had custody since he was 5 years old following a judge decision and have raised him since then and he has always lived with us since then and is still living with us today).
    At the time of our application we did not include him but he now would like to go with us and live in NZ.
    How can we proceed ?
    I suppose he has to apply on his own right because of his age ?
    Does the fact that we are NZ residents help ?
    We don't know where and how to start.

Many thanks in advance

How old is he? And is he financially dependent on you?

See Page 354 here for the regulations about a dependant child applying for Residence under the Family Stream.

He is 20, turning 21 in November this year.
    He is dependent financially on us as he is in an apprenticeship until July 2018, but he gets paid during his apprenticeship.

Sorry, page 354 of which link ?
    Thanks !

Hang on - I'll find it again. Ooops!

There we are. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/docu.../residence.pdf

It will be a fine balance, proving IF he could manage on the apprentice pay, I think, if you try for this route.

Ah, this is easier. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/ (The operational manual was down for maintenance yesterday.)

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Hang on - I'll find it again. Ooops!

There we are. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/docu.../residence.pdf

It will be a fine balance, proving IF he could manage on the apprentice pay, I think, if you try for this route.

You mean if we can prove his apprenticeship pay is not sufficient and proove we send money to support his living when we are gone it will be fine?
    He was also willing to go back to study after his apprenticeship.

Thank you for the link !! I will read this carefully tonight.

Yes, you have to show that he could not manage to support himself and have somewhere to live without your input. But look at the detail. Also, if you do a search of the forum, there are other people who have done this for their children. In general, I have the impression that if it's going to happen, the younger the better.

OK so what we will do is send the application for our son ASAP.
    He is turning 21 in November so we hope it is processed on time before his 21th birthday which would avoid us to prove anything about his financial dependence to us.
    We just saw that the processing time is usually under 3 months so it's really really short to have it done before November this year...but not impossible if we start right now...Health, police certificate etc...and we will pay for the english courses beacsue he will not have the time to sit the english test.

It's the age at the date of application that counts right ? Not the date of response from INZ right ?

OMG why is everything always done at the last minute in our family ?!?!?!

I have just printed the Residence Application form to fill it in (the one under the Family category)
    What I am not sure about is : who is the applicant ? Our son or my husband ? All the questions related to family members, partner and children etc...are for my husband not for my son aren't they ? (we are confused about who is the applicant because of these questions)

Many many thanks

Yes, it's the age at the time of lodging the application that will matter.

The form can be used for different kinds of application, so there are questions that will not apply for this sort. Did you find this page of the INZ website https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-resident-visa, which may be helpful? I would have said that the son is the principal applicant who would complete the form, but then in the instructions about processing, it says you (the parent) do it and the dependent child if over a certain age also has to sign it, so now I am puzzled. I think you had better message ChrisMwn the LIA.

Yes I did find and read this page you linked.
    And I am confused about EXACTLY the same reason as you.
    I will PM ChrisMwn
    Thanks for all the info so far !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast