Thread: New SMC Policy Clarification

Default New SMC Policy Clarification

Hello all,

As you would have seen, INZ have posted the "proposed" points system under the new policy to be implemented next month here:
    http://www.mbie.govt.nz/info-service...t-category.pdf

I am new to NZ and don't know how the Parliament works here. Can someone please help me understand what do "proposed" values mean? Are they likely to undergo any more revisions or is it almost final but awaiting an official announcement?

The document mentions this:

"In addition to the proposed remuneration thresholds, Cabinet has previously agreed to a series of changes to realign the points and selection mechanisms to better recognise
    skilled applicants
    . I was invited to make decisions to implement the changes agreed by Cabinet. The changes included:
     focus more on skilled work experience
     reflect increased skill levels in the 30-39 age group
     remove points no longer aligned with Government priorities, and
     award additional points for high salary levels. "

Here, it says that the Cabinet has already agreed on the changes, then does it mean the proposed system is almost final but just not officially out yet?

I am asking all these questions because I plan to submit my EOI under the new policy changes and want to prepare accordingly.
    Also, I am curious to understand how things work here in case of policy changes.

Thank you very much!

In general terms, Cabinet approves in principle, changes to policy. Officials then work on the detail, and those details are incorporated into Immigration Instructions which are approved by the Minister for residence matters.
    Nothing is final until those changes are published.

You would be wise not to make any assumptions and to wait until the rules changes are published and implemented.

Thanks ChrisMwn. That was very helpful!