Thread: Submitted a WHV application under scheme of wrong country due to system issue

Default Submitted a WHV application under scheme of wrong country due to system issue

Hello everyone here.
    It's my first post here and I met some trouble with INZ. It's really appreciated if anyone can give me some advice.

I am from Taiwan, which with only 600 quotas for New Zealand working holiday visa every year. The New Zealand working holiday visa is very popular and highly competitive as it's opened limted quotas to Taiwan. The application usually runs out within 15-30 minutes once it opened.
    The application was opened on 29-Jun, and I set in front of computer and lodged my application with Taiwan scheme at 10 AM NZ time sharp (also 6 AM Taiwan time). When I refreshed the homepage of NZ WHV then, it ran so slowly and the page shown with layout broken. I still could find "Taiwan" so I clicked the link of Taiwan, then it directed to the entrance of Sweden, I noted it was wrong, so I returned to the previous page and re-clicked "Taiwan". At that time, I checked twice it was the entrance of Taiwan, and I completed online application and paid the visa application fee (NZ$208) in time.

Three days later, my Case Officer sent me a mail that I submitted a WHV application under the scheme of Sweden, hence, I didn't meet the requirements of the particular scheme, moreover, I was held the concerns that I provided false and misleading information. I tried my best to explain it must be something wrong with the system, I checked twice that I entered the application from the scheme of Taiwan at that time. My husband also applied for the same visa at the same time, he also remembered he saw I entered the application from the scheme of Taiwain. However, I didn't take the screenshots and have nothing to prove it. Therefore, I made a complaint regarding the system problem I had met via INZ online feedback system (still didn't get any response from the relevant team), I also shared my experience on the local forums, I found few people also met the same problem at the same time. Some other people guessed maybe it was cache from the browser that led us to the Taiwan Scheme while the actual message (Taiwan Scheme option) was not linked back to the server during that peak period. Unforturnately, none of us took the screenshots. Most of us chose to withdrew the application directly. I just explained all the details as possible as I can to my CO and tried to let her understand that I didn't provide the false and misleadning information, it's really a negligence without my intention and out of my control. Finally, my CO still decllined my application and considered I provided false and misleading information. I am ineligible for a tempory visa now unless they grant me a character waiver. This made me horribly upset. It is about my personal integrity that I deem it seriously. I also worry about whether to be deported from any country due to this matter. For me, the only chance I can check what country I chose is at the beginning of whole online application. I took my responsibility that I made sure I applied under the scheme of Taiwan. However, it finally turned out to the scheme of Sweden. It seemed that there might be some system problem that would be risky for all applicants. At least, other 9 people and I met the problem and I tried my best to claimed this problem and I failed. Is there any other possible way I can try? Or any advice if I still want to apply for WHV next year?

Thank you for your reading.

If CO had declined your application based on 'false and misleading information', i doubt you can get it WHV next year. I think this is a serious allegation here unless.
    But i might be wrong, have to wait for Chris or JandM input.

All the best.

I would also like to hear what ChrisMwn thinks about this.

My first impression is that those of you who have had this same experience, of the technology linking you to the wrong scheme, will probably need to get together to back each other up in challenging the outcome of your applications, otherwise the kind of refusal could have a negative impact for the future. ONE person saying that the computer system wasn't working properly can more easily be ignored as making up an excuse than several saying the same.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    I would also like to hear what ChrisMwn thinks about this.

My first impression is that those of you who have had this same experience, of the technology linking you to the wrong scheme, will probably need to get together to back each other up in challenging the outcome of your applications, otherwise the kind of refusal could have a negative impact for the future. ONE person saying that the computer system wasn't working properly can more easily be ignored as making up an excuse than several saying the same.
    I think in the first instance I'd be making a request for information under the Official Information Act.

You then have a right to correct any information in relation to yourself that is wrong.

I'd be asking for:

A copy of your application and any processing notes.
    The number of Taiwanese citizens who applied for Swedish working holiday visas during 2017.
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 24th July 2017 at 10:19 AM.