Thread: Preparing the move :)

Default Preparing the move :)

Hi all,

well here's a little update about where we stand in our move from France to NZ
    Just a brief summary of our case : we are a family of 5 living in France. 4 of us got blue stickers on our passports early this year and have until Feb 17 2018 to enter NZ and validate our visas. The fifth member (our son aged 20) has just decided he would finally go also so he is in the process of taking IELTS and medicals in order to apply as dependent child.

My husband, who is the main applicant has already validated his residence visa with a first entry to NZ mid June and has stayed there 4 weeks before coming back to France.
    He took the opportunity during this first 4 weeks visit to open a bank account, make a few "friends" already (beers and bars during All Blacks vs Lions games helped quite a lot , get advices on how to present his resume, visit and inquire about different suburbs of Wellington. He ended up finding us a little house to rent in Karori starting from 1st October, and this was crucial for me as this enabled me to contact the school for our daughters aged 12 and 16 to get information about enrollment and relieved me quite a lot from my worries regarding the schools. They will be in WGC, which is a girls only public college with a uniform and no make-up, no jewels....a BIG change for them....

So we now know where exactly we will live, where exactly our girls will attend college when they will start and therefore can plan flights and tell friends and relatives.
    I also gave notice to my employer for my resignation by 2017 year end

My husband is flying back to Wellington in September to stay for real this time and start the 2 x 184 days of living in NZ (after having spent already 28 days during his first visit) to apply for PR later.
    I will be moving with the girls very early January. So he can prepare the family nest with furnitures and appliances (including a Trampoline on the lawn for our youngest and a grass like carpet in the bedroom for our oldest)
    We decided we would not ship a container, it's not worth the cost in our case, even if everyone says everything is expensive in NZ we decided we could sell our furnitures and stuff in France which we want to change anyway and take the money to buy what we need in NZ (could be second hand as well).

We realize that all the questions asked by our CO during my husband's interview and his answers became reality. We did exactly what he said we would do. This is like we now make the movie of the scenario we wrote during the interview.

Now I am eager to be January 2018 to finally start our new living as a family in Wellington.

Congratulations!!!! You will come in the best time of the year... Summer! and "a lots" of public holidays... to visit this beautiful land

Thank you !!
    yes we will leave France under the snow and land in Wellington under the sun
    But our oldest daughter is a little sad to leave her friends and says she will find a job to save money and be sure she can fly back to France once a year at Christmas time if we can't afford to pay her a flight ticket every year.
    We said let's wait till we start living there and we can discuss about this again later
    We are confident she will change her mind once she has made new kiwi friends but try not to go against her too much for the moment
    Oh these teenagers....

How exciting! As part of our move I came 6 months before my husband. But he came for Christmas--otherwise it would have been too long. Will your husband come back to France for Christmas, or will he be on his own?

Not sure yet...actually the problem is our oldest daughter wants to spend Christmas and new year's eve with the cousins and friends in France "one last time".
    The youngest one wants to join her dad before Chistmas so we really don't know what to do..
    Maybe the best solution is that my husband comes back to France for Chrsitmas and flies back to Wellington at the same time as us early January. But this will all depends on if he he has a job already or not...
    And you know flight tickets are expensive..especially when the dates are modifiable...
    So many parameters...headache...