Thread: Advice on complaint process with INZ

Post Advice on complaint process with INZ

My wife submitted a partnership-based temporary visa application to an overseas INZ office. (I am an NZ citizen). However, we are concerned about the tenor of some communications we have received from the INZ officer (a local hire). It has been inferred we have not been truthful (the inference we are lying) about various dates, yet these were all clearly outlined in letters we provided (it seems the letters were not read). Our biggest concern is that my wife was accused of using an immigration advisor and did not include this on the application form. When my wife asked further, it seemed that our application looked 'too professional' (I kid you not) for it to be done by applicants alone. We clearly feel that the officer's first review of our application is to treat it with total suspicion. (I suspect that is probably the working principle of INZ - don't trust anyone).

We would like to make a complaint however we am concerned that this will reflect negatively on the application. While a complaint to a NZ-based INZ office would probably not be negatively viewed, I have lived overseas long enough that if a complaint was received by the overseas office, it would increase the chance of a negative outcome.

I would welcome any ideas how to progress a complaint - or should we wait until we know the outcome of the application first.
    Last edited by emjay; 16th August 2017 at 08:13 PM.

Nobody can tell you what you ought to do. I empathize with both your feelings of offense at the nature of replies, and your caution before hitting back.

Of course you're right that INZ can't accept matters from an applicant on a "because I said so" basis - everything has to be proved and supported. However, it must be very frustrating when you HAVE supplied supporting evidence and it has apparently been overlooked.

I think in your situation, I would let this ride for now, politely but strongly countering everything alleged by referring to your evidence. And keep a careful record of everything sent to you by the CO, and everything that you reply, including copies of your evidence, in case you have to follow this up later.