Thread: Bad news - SMC "unable to accept application"

Unhappy Bad news - SMC "unable to accept application"

This morning I was so excited to see an email saying "your application has been received".

Then 2 hours later I received an email saying "we hve not been able to accept your application and are returning it as a failed lodgement"

I have no idea what this even means, and am absolutely gutted. I ticked all the boxes in evidence to provide, I had money waiting in my account, but it looks like they took one look at it and are returning it to me.

Has anyone had any experience of this? Or any inkling as to what it means? They say they are sending a detailed letter explaining why they are returning it, but what knows how long this will take to get to me.

Any advice or experience of this much appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi em720,

The failed lodgement means

"We have not been able to accept your application for assessment, as basic documentation is missing.

Your documents will be returned to you shortly along with guidance for resubmitting your application to INZ."
    https://www.immigration.govt.nz/form...hats-happening

Thanks nzgeek. I honestly can't even think what is missing though, that's what's worrying me! I ticked off every box in the list they give you of evidence you need to provide! So frustrating that they didn't lodge it and then send an email asking for the specific documentation missing rather than sending the whole thing back to me - it took them 3 weeks just to acknowledge they had received my application.

My current visa runs out in 6 months so time is not on my side either. Bloomin frustrating!

Quote Originally Posted by em720 View Post
    Thanks nzgeek. I honestly can't even think what is missing though, that's what's worrying me! I ticked off every box in the list they give you of evidence you need to provide! So frustrating that they didn't lodge it and then send an email asking for the specific documentation missing rather than sending the whole thing back to me - it took them 3 weeks just to acknowledge they had received my application.

My current visa runs out in 6 months so time is not on my side either. Bloomin frustrating!
    normally its because the form wasn't fully completed or signed, or police or medical information is out of date or incorrect.

Thanks ChrisMwn - must be the form part as our police and medical certificates were all completed recently. Fingers crossed it is returned soon.

they didn't lodge it and then send an email asking for the specific documentation missing
    They're not allowed to. For everything, INZ have to proceed on the basis of what IS, rather than what (the applicant intends or hopes) WILL BE. (For instance, nobody can claim points for the qualification they're about to get, even though they've finished the course and know their result - they have to wait till they have formally been granted it.)

Thanks JandM. It must be a missing signature or something, as all my qualifications I'm claiming points for are complete, and I submitted my application with my degree transcripts. Fingers crossed I find out soon, I just wish they could've told me in the email, rather than sending in email letting me know they are going to send me a letter containing information. Doesn't seem terribly time efficient really!

INZ procedures don't always appear to be the most logical, but they just ARE. They have their ways of doing things. Go with the flow!