Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 155 Pointers

Default 155 Pointers

Hi all,

First time posting here, apologies for my semi-rant. Given the old and new points criteria for SMC, my points still falls under 160. I'm an offshore applicant, with 155pts.

Here's my breakdown for current:
    Skill: Systems Analyst
    Skilled work experience: 50 (10yrs+)
    Absolute skills shortage: 15 (6yrs+)
    Qualifications: 50 (level 7)
    Partner: 10 (level 7) -- why did they lowered the points here?!

Seems it's nearly impossible for offshore applicants to attain 160pts if you don't have any masterals or phd, or any job offer, or haven't set foot in NZ (either work or study).

The irony is, even you apply online for work in NZ, they will tell you that what they are looking for are those who already have authorization to work, they don't give sponsorship. I already lost count on how many job openings I have applied, and almost everyone are saying the same. It didn't even reach the interview stage.

Any suggestions?

Kind of feeling down now.

Thanks and apologies again for the rant.

Quote Originally Posted by fadder View Post
    Hi all,

First time posting here, apologies for my semi-rant. Given the old and new points criteria for SMC, my points still falls under 160. I'm an offshore applicant, with 155pts.

Seems it's nearly impossible for offshore applicants to attain 160pts if you don't have any masterals or phd, or any job offer, or haven't set foot in NZ (either work or study).

The irony is, even you apply online for work in NZ, they will tell you that what they are looking for are those who already have authorization to work, they don't give sponsorship. I already lost count on how many job openings I have applied, and almost everyone are saying the same. It didn't even reach the interview stage.

Any suggestions?

How much time have you spent in NZ, face to face with recruiters, or potential employers?

You are lucky, with a Singaporean passport you can visit whenever you like without the need for a visa.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    How much time have you spent in NZ, face to face with recruiters, or potential employers?

You are lucky, with a Singaporean passport you can visit whenever you like without the need for a visa.
    I haven't set foot (yet) in NZ, so mostly my job seeking is through job sites.

Also, I'm not Singaporean, I'm just working here currently.

I know it doesn't make it any more pleasant, but this old post still holds good, and goes some way to explain the NZ employers' side of the question. https://www.enz.org/forum/showthread...952#post359952

Thanks for this. It's just kind of frustrating that for offshore applicants, job offer is the only hope to reach the threshold mark. And yet companies are requiring you to already have authorization to work before they even consider you.

INZ - secure job first
    Companies - secure visa first
    Me -

Thanks for this. It's just kind of frustrating that for offshore applicants, job offer is the only hope to reach the threshold mark. And yet companies are requiring you to already have authorization to work before they even consider you.

INZ - secure job first
    Companies - secure visa first
    Me -
    I'm in the same boat. Trying to search for jobs from South Africa on the North Island. The time difference does not work either.

Hi all,

Any suggestions?

I came to NZ last year to get my professional nursing registration under a Visit Visa. I arrived in Oct 2016, took a 2 month course and got my professional registration in December 2017. From December 2017 to March 2017, I applied to every available nursing positions in all parts of NZ including the Chatham Islands. I sent applications online, dropped my CV and cover letter in person and tried to meet the managers in person, and also sent emails to the managers of rest homes, clinics and hospital units and all other facilities hiring nurses. I kept a lodge of how many positions I have applied to; in total I applied to 254 positions and I got rejected 253 times. I was interviewed only once - by the only employer willing to hire me. This is considering that I have solid number of years of nursing experience in Emergency Nursing and Occupational Health. On top of this, my transition from a visit visa to an essential skill work visa was horrendous and outright horrible even if I was able to provide all the necessary paperwork all at once; it took 2.5 months before INZ approved my work visa. My one and only employer who had taken me in, needed people to work immediately so it took a toll as well with them (scheduling work-shifts and work-loads) until I was able to start, but since they told me that they have already invested time on me, they were willing to wait a bit more. I assume that this happens to majority of applications which is why employers rarely would spent the effort and tolerate the annoyance of sponsoring an oncoming employee with a visitors visa - the process is just too much unreasonable if you're a business owner needing people to work. So, in total I spent a good unemployed 8 months (1 month more and my visit visa would have ended) from my arrival to the start of my work. What I failed to do was to research my options before coming here and this is the best advice that I can give from my experience. Look around, if you think that you can be qualified here try to look if you can be qualified somewhere else like Australia, UK, Ireland, Canada or the USA and see the conditions of how the immigrants there are doing or coping there. I did not do my research and this is what happened to me.

Quote Originally Posted by raleigh119 View Post
    I came to NZ last year to get my professional nursing registration under a Visit Visa. I arrived in Oct 2016, took a 2 month course and got my professional registration in December 2017. From December 2017 to March 2017, I applied to every available nursing positions in all parts of NZ including the Chatham Islands. I sent applications online, dropped my CV and cover letter in person and tried to meet the managers in person, and also sent emails to the managers of rest homes, clinics and hospital units and all other facilities hiring nurses. I kept a lodge of how many positions I have applied to; in total I applied to 254 positions and I got rejected 253 times. I was interviewed only once - by the only employer willing to hire me. This is considering that I have solid number of years of nursing experience in Emergency Nursing and Occupational Health. On top of this, my transition from a visit visa to an essential skill work visa was horrendous and outright horrible even if I was able to provide all the necessary paperwork all at once; it took 2.5 months before INZ approved my work visa. My one and only employer who had taken me in, needed people to work immediately so it took a toll as well with them (scheduling work-shifts and work-loads) until I was able to start, but since they told me that they have already invested time on me, they were willing to wait a bit more. I assume that this happens to majority of applications which is why employers rarely would spent the effort and tolerate the annoyance of sponsoring an oncoming employee with a visitors visa - the process is just too much unreasonable if you're a business owner needing people to work. So, in total I spent a good unemployed 8 months (1 month more and my visit visa would have ended) from my arrival to the start of my work. What I failed to do was to research my options before coming here and this is the best advice that I can give from my experience. Look around, if you think that you can be qualified here try to look if you can be qualified somewhere else like Australia, UK, Ireland, Canada or the USA and see the conditions of how the immigrants there are doing or coping there. I did not do my research and this is what happened to me.

Thanks for this. I know it will not be easy and basically that's a given when you plan to migrate. But the disconnection between INZ and Companies are very hard to understand.

Guess I really have no choice but to pray someone will notice and give me a chance atleast for interview.

Thanks again.

Hi Fadder,

Did you explore "Silver Fern Job search visa" ? If not, please look into it. I feel that's an easy path way to residency. I've come here on 9 month job search visa and my employer was not required to sponsor me. Once you get a job offer, you could either go for Silver Fern Practical Experience visa for 2 years or apply for Residency or do both .

If you have no other option, I would suggest wait until November and give Silver fern job search visa a try. The only issue with this : There are 300 such visas issued every year in November/December. You need to secure your slot by filling an Online questionnaire. INZ servers crash most of the time during online application process and slots fill up real quick.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...arch-work-visa

My time line:
    Silver Fern job search visa approved: Feb 2016
    Arrived NZ : March , 2016
    Job offer: May , 2016
    2 year Silver Fern Practical Exp Work Visa approved : July, 2016
    SMC Visa lodged: July 2017

Good luck,
    Sai

I was in the same SFJSV batch and it was super easy, I went straight to residency.

Visa approved: March 2016
    Arrived in NZ: July 2016
    Job offer: August 2016
    EOI: August 2016
    ITA: October 2016
    Residency sticker: January 2017

Good start of the year :-)

Fast internet is important, Netherlands is number 5 in the world so that helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast