Thread: Tauranga - opinions please!

Default Tauranga - opinions please!

Hi,

My family (me, hubby and 2 kids) are seriously considering a move to Tauranga. However, we've heard mixed opinions about how easy it is to settle there (some say it's a bit cliquey), finds jobs and make friends.

I would love to hear from people who live/ have lived there to find out your opinions.

Thanks!

Hi and welcome!
    Where are you moving from? I don't live in Tauranga, nor have I lived there. But I have been there a few times. Quick bit about us, we are Americans that used to live in Auckland in the 90's and have just gotten our residency this month!
    We have seriously considered Tauranga as it is a good sized city. But since we've been living on our farm in Virginia (100 acre farm), we have grown accustomed to rural life. So we thought Tauranga might be too much city for us.
    We have now set our sights on Whakatane. We like the town, and like the fact that it's only 45 minutes to Tauranga. That doesn't seem too far to travel when we want/need something in Tauranga.
    Since I've been looking at real estate for over a year, I have noticed that prices are much higher in Tauranga. No surprise there as it is a much bigger city. But in my opinion, you get a lot more for your money in Whakatane.
    What kind of Visa are you coming over on? Do you or your husband have a specific need to be in Tauranga?
    Good luck!

We lived in Tauranga for a few years...actually in nearby Omokoroa. Tauranga is a very nice place. The people are as friendly as anywhere else we lived in NZ including Rotorua, Auckland, etc. Neighbors introduced themselves not long after we moved in and we're still friends with many. There's a good cross-section of folks; plenty of Kiwis of course, but a number of others from the UK and such.

All of the amenities you'd expect in a small city are there. Good restaurants (The Naked Grape being one of our favorite brunch spots), shopping, things to do. We liked the "costal" atmosphere of Mt. Maunganui. Tauranga is affectionally known as "God's waiting room" so you'll find plenty of folks in the retirement demographic. Most residents take good care of their properties and crime didn't seem to be an issue at all.

Although we don't have children the schools are rated well. The church we attended was very welcoming. It's easy to get around and there are plenty of things to do, particularly if you're the outdoor type. (Guess that goes for all of NZ!) They have a nice winery that hosts night's out and some entertainment.

Depending on where you settle it can be reasonable to expensive...no views to beach views and everything in-between.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by richsadams; 24th October 2017 at 09:39 AM.

My in-laws (who are English) moved from the North Shore of Auckland to Tauranga a couple of years ago. They are very happy. They find it less cliquey than their small town experience on a lifestyle block north of Auckland.

I have been in Tauranga for four years now. I don’t find it cliquey. If you make a reasonable attempt at getting out and try to find your niche, it should be easy to find like-minded people.

However, be aware that this is a small place. Everybody knows somebody through some connection, and this is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it is very nice because you bump into people again everywhere – at the shopping mall, at the beach, at local events. It makes you feel part of the place sooner than if you lived in a metropolitan area with the anonymity that comes with this. On the other hand, you have to be careful what you say and to whom you say it because if you are an outspoken person, whatever you say will inadvertently be conveyed to somebody you didn’t want to know it. If you don't care, that's fine. But if you need to be Mr or Ms Nice, e.g. because you are job hunting, this can be a challenge.