Thread: Applying for partnership based work visa and residence at the same time

Default Applying for partnership based work visa and residence at the same time

Hi everyone

I have been living with my partner, who is a NZ citizen, for 1.5 years and we've been in relationship since April 2015. We recently purchased a house together. My current work visa (post study employer assisted) is expiring in Jan 2018.

I am planning to apply for both work visa and residence with partnership based application. My question is whether this is possible? The reason why I wanted to do it was because the residence application usually takes 4-6 months to process and by that time my current visa would expire, while if the work visa can be processed earlier I can plan for my travel next year.

Thank you very much
    HN
    Last edited by hznry; 27th August 2017 at 11:48 PM.

I think you need to ask INZ this question.

I feel that normally, the suggestion would be that you should apply for partner-sponsored residence straight away, which may be processed before your current visa expires. If it gets near the expiry date, you could then lodge a partner-sponsored work visa application, and that would mean INZ could issue you with an interim visa to keep you legal while processing proceeds. Whether or not they will be agreeable to your 2-in-1 idea, I don't know.

If you get the go-ahead, be very careful to keep copies of all your partnership evidence. Your applications may end up being dealt with in different offices.