Thread: Return Ticket is Mandatory? , when coming on visitor visa

Question Return Ticket is Mandatory? , when coming on visitor visa

Hello

I thought of bringing my parents on visitor visa for few months. Currently, I have applied via online and there is no requirement for tickets. As they are not sure how long they want to stay here (2 months or 3 months), I thought of getting one-way ticket. Is it possible they can come to NZ without return ticket? or will it be questioned by Immigration while entering to NZ? Please help on this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nvpradeepkumar View Post
    Hello

I thought of bringing my parents on visitor visa for few months. Currently, I have applied via online and there is no requirement for tickets. As they are not sure how long they want to stay here (2 months or 3 months), I thought of getting one-way ticket. Is it possible they can come to NZ without return ticket? or will it be questioned by Immigration while entering to NZ? Please help on this.

Thanks
    That would depend if the visa is issued "outward passage waived" If there is no such notation, then outward tickets are required (not necessarily return, but tickets to a place where they have ability to enter. It might also depend on if the visa applicant is sponsored.

E6.15 Sponsorship undertaking

Sponsorship creates a responsibility for the sponsor to ensure the sponsored person’s needs for accommodation and maintenance while in New Zealand, and repatriation or deportation are met.
    A sponsored person may have the means to fund any part, or all of their own maintenance, accommodation, and repatriation or deportation, but if they do not, or refuse to, the sponsor is required to provide these directly or pay for the cost of providing them.

The undertaking for which a sponsor is responsible, and in relation to which a debt is recoverable from the sponsor, are:

accommodation, meaning suitable accommodation for the sponsored person in New Zealand, where the sponsored person does not have the means for their own accommodation;
    and
    maintenance, meaning the reasonable costs of essential provisions needed for the sponsored person’s health and welfare in New Zealand, where they do not have the means for these. This may include but is not limited to food, clothing and medical treatment where required;
    and

repatriation, meaning any costs associated with the sponsored person leaving New Zealand at the end of the sponsorship period if the person:
    does not have the means for their own departure (or refuses to pay for it); or
    is liable for deportation;
    and

deportation, meaning any costs that are incurred during the sponsorship period in relation to the sponsored person’s deportation, which could include the costs of locating, detaining and maintaining the person, and their travel costs in being deported.

Sponsorship undertakings are in effect from the date the sponsored person arrives in New Zealand, or if they are already onshore, from the date the sponsored visa is granted, until the earliest of:
    the date the sponsored person is granted a new visa with a new sponsor or no sponsorship requirement; or
    the date the sponsored person leaves New Zealand without further travel conditions allowing them to return to New Zealand on the sponsored visa; or
    the date the sponsored person is deported from New Zealand.

how about an open eded ticket? costs a bit more but means you dont have to have a specific date of outward bound)home bound) travel.

two cases about myself:
    when my family traveled to New Zealand, stopped by austrilia, the custom officer requested us to show the reserved ticket, at least reserved infomation; when my mother traveled from HK, the flight company need the real return ticket, or else she was not allowed to travel.