Thread: Securing employment from Australia

Default Securing employment from Australia

Hi, about a year ago we (husband, wife & 12 year old son) started discussing moving overseas as an option. At the time, a job offer in Australia (IT industry) with future permanent residence was very likely. Following all the visa changes in April 2017, age took the option of permanent residence away with only a 4 year work visa being left.

By then, the moving bug had bitten & we looked at other options, New Zealand coming out as our preferred favourite, but due to hubby's age (47 years) he needed to first secure a job offer. He has sent his CV out to numerous sources, work contacts, etc - had one interview but the general feeling seems to be that, as he isn't present for interviews, it won't progress further.

Meantime, the position in Australia is still an option.

So my question is this, if we moved to Australia for either 2 or 4 years & he applied to employers in New Zealand towards the end of those work visas, would that increase his chances of securing a position in New Zealand - being closer means he could potentially come across for interviews....

Thanks!

Making himself available to meet employers would probably improve his chances somewhat, wherever in the world he was applying from. This old post still applies. https://www.enz.org/forum/showthread...952#post359952 I don't know that having been working in Australia would be a particular recommendation, though, unless his work there had some particular connection with NZ companies.

Thanks for the reply! I guess we are going to having to give it some more thought. If it was just my hubby & I, we would take the 4 years in Aus & then plan the next move. However, as our son will be close to finishing school in 4 years, we also dont want him to be disadvantaged by multiple moves, new school curriculums, etc.