Thread: SMC 12 Month Job Conditions

Default SMC 12 Month Job Conditions

Hello,

I have been granted residency through SMC with a job offer. One of my visa conditions is that i stay in the job which i obtained point for, for 12 months.

My question is what happens if for some reason i cant stay in the job - ie. i get there i dont like it or they dont like me?

Can i get the same job somewhere else? Its a joinery job.

Thanks

You would only be able to transfer to another job that is skilled in the same skills you proved on your original ITA (joinery, in your case), and presumably, outside Auckland, assuming that is why you've got the 12 months' condition.

T90jlm - why the 12-month restriction? Is it because you're supposed to work outside Auckland?

I don't know why INZ sometimes requires people to get a job for 3 months or 12...Any help?

I applied outside auckland but never got any condition in my residency visa. Same question as gaida2, why the restriction? Just out of curiosity. Thanks JandM.

In recent years, extra points for the SMC application have been granted if someone took a skilled job outside Auckland. This was a concession to tempt skilled workers to fill skill gaps in the regions, since many were attracted to trying to stay in Auckland because of the greater amenities available there. So people got over the threshold for their EOI to be selected only because of those extra points. It wouldn't be fair if they got to Waikikamukau (or wherever), worked one month, then gave in their notice and moved to the big city, leaving the region not to have had the benefit of their skill.

The same thing goes for the three months' condition required if someone had had the points under the previous SMC rules for having a skilled job or offer.