Thread: Drivng in NZ after one year of arrival

Default Drivng in NZ after one year of arrival

Dear everyone

It is going to be an year since my wife is in NZ, and she is driving with overseas license, and she is a RN.

She has not yet applied to get NZ driving license, and I don't think she can do that before it is 12 months.

Is it possible for her to exit to Fiji or Australia and then enter NZ , and drive for another 12 months?

Is 12 months limit applicable once only ? or can we drive for 12 months upon each entry to NZ?

Thank you for your replies

Yes, the 12 months resets each time she enters the country. That's okay for now, but she would do well to get this sorted out soon, at leisure.

Thank you JandM

During my previous trip, I made her to drive on the motor ways and state highways to get more confident. Hope to apply for a licence at least next year.

Thanks for sharing

By the way, one can apply for a NZ driver license at any time. There's no need to wait for 12 months
    The process is clearly described here https://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-lice...river-licence/

For me it was rocket fast. After 3 months of living in NZ I applied for conversion, and it took only 3 days!
    My overseas license was not from the exempt countries lists, so I had to pass both theory and practical exam.

I've done the exit to reset thing and I am finding more now that I am forming bad driving habits the longer I drive here haha, should need and do some refresher courses before sitting that theory and practical exam.

Quote Originally Posted by allune View Post
    I've done the exit to reset thing and I am finding more now that I am forming bad driving habits the longer I drive here haha, should need and do some refresher courses before sitting that theory and practical exam.
    I think your insurer might be concerned if nothing had been done about a NZ licence after 1 year.

Well I didn’t drive or own a car my first year here...

Only driven after I came back to reset it.

Quote Originally Posted by allune View Post
    Well I didn’t drive or own a car my first year here...

Only driven after I came back to reset it.
    You obviously haven't dealt with a NZ Insurance company who will look to delay,deny or defend any claim.

I would not be giving them any ammunition to suggest that you first arrived in NZ more than a year ago and are still driving on an overseas licence regardless of whether or not you have been in and out, or only just started driving here.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    You obviously haven't dealt with a NZ Insurance company who will look to delay,deny or defend any claim.

I would not be giving them any ammunition to suggest that you first arrived in NZ more than a year ago and are still driving on an overseas licence regardless of whether or not you have been in and out, or only just started driving here.
    Is it just one NZ insurance company or all of them? Good thing I don't have claims yet! Thanks for the suggestion, no they don't know how long I've been here as they don't ask that question anyway.

Anyway the failure I did is that I didn't say I was agreeing with @ekini that the NZ licence doesn't have to be applied for after the 12 months, and that applying earlier may be better as you're a more careful driver That's the lost context I didn't get to express.

Don't worry the theory test is done and practical had been booked