Thread: Paying taxes on overseas income when on work visa...?

Default Paying taxes on overseas income when on work visa...?

I had a question passed to me by a student who has been working for a German employer while studying in NZ, and now while on a work visa in NZ. He has been in NZ for 3.5 years. He has applied for residency and is waiting for outcome.

1) Does he have to pay income taxes in NZ on his income from Germany?
    2) Do you have to pay taxes in NZ on overseas income while on a student visa?
    3) Do you pay taxes in NZ on overseas income while on a work visa?

I believe you have to pay taxes on overseas income once you are a resident and living in NZ - but not sure about the visa situations. He does (of course) pay taxes on money he earns through New Zealand employers.

It seems one of the perks to granting residency is gaining the right to charge income tax on overseas income. It would seem strange that NZ could charge income tax on overseas income while someone is on a temporary visa (student or work), but said I would ask. Thanks!

I don't know, but suggest that here https://www.ird.govt.nz/ is the place to research, and to enquire.

Thanks - I looked. But terms are not specific. The term "resident" is used, but this can mean 2 things: 1) Someone with PR -- that is a "permanent resident" 2) Someone who "resides" somewhere. That means that a student in NZ for only 2 years has to pay taxes during second year, because they live (reside) in NZ. That doesn't make sense to me though since student is not allowed to access services that NZ PR and citizens can.

Then ask the question of IRD. They can tell you what interpretation is placed upon it.

I will advise this to my friend.