Thread: "Comment on the difference in cultural background" - Partnership residence visa

Default "Comment on the difference in cultural background" - Partnership residence visa

Hey guys! My partner's residence visa was lodged on 12/07/17 and he's just been assigned a CO today. We've received an email requesting further documents. Does anyone know exactly what they mean by "Please comment on the difference in cultural back ground between you and your partner"? Do they want a written statement from each of us? Any ideas on what kinds of things we should mention, and how much we should write? Any guidance would be much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Genianoe View Post
    Hey guys! My partner's residence visa was lodged on 12/07/17 and he's just been assigned a CO today. We've received an email requesting further documents. Does anyone know exactly what they mean by "Please comment on the difference in cultural back ground between you and your partner"? Do they want a written statement from each of us? Any ideas on what kinds of things we should mention, and how much we should write? Any guidance would be much appreciated
    That's an interesting question. It's not something that I've seen asked before and not part of instructions. id be going back to the case officer and asking then to clarify what it is that they want comment on. Do they see that two people from different cultures shouldn't be in a relationship? Does they have concerns that cultural differences might effect the likelihood that the relationship is "genuine, stable and likely to endure"? Ask them.

https://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53216 It has come up on the forum a couple of times before, for instance here.

I agree, it's an odd question, unless one partner from a mud hut in the jungle was moving to a CBD skyscraper. If it's no big deal for you, then there isn't much to say. If, for instance, you already spoke and wrote fluent English before you met, that would account for a lot of 'no problem'. I think, if it hasn't caused any problems, say so, and the GOOD things you've found in your situation. If either of you has learnt the other one's language, talk about the experience. Tell any positive things, such as maybe your partner has found recipes for your favourite foods from your family, or vice versa, or trying out each other's hobbies. If there have been problems, say so, and how you are overcoming them.

Thank you ChrisMwn and JandM for your comments. We have emailed the CO asking for further clarification on some of her requests. Hopefully she won't take too long to reply! But we'd rather get it right the first time than send the wrong information.

Hi Genianoe,

Can you please provide your timeline so far?

Hi,

I was asked the exact same question, and after asking my CO, she explained that she was indeed interested in our different backgrounds, whether there had been any issues or whether we embraced each others' cultures. (I am European, my partner is of Samoan descent although she has never visited Samoa and grew up here in NZ). We both wrote a brief letter explaining the situation including all we could think of with regards to 'cultural differences'. As she is very much a kiwi and not traditional at all, we commented on for example food (her parents cook traditional food sometimes), 'Island Time', how we visited Europe together experiencing my culture etc.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by MollyDee View Post
    Hi Genianoe,

Can you please provide your timeline so far?
    Hi MollyDee

Sorry for the late reply. This is our timeline so far:

July 12th 2017 - Application lodged in Manukau
    July 21st 2017 - Documents returned + we were asked to complete some missing information in application form
    August 10th 2017 - submitted missing information
    September 12th 2017 - CO assigned + further documents requested
    September 29th 2017 - submitted requested documents to CO

Hopefully it won't be too long until we hear from our CO again