Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Additional TB tests after normal X-Ray

Default Additional TB tests after normal X-Ray

Hello everyone!

I have been browsing the forum for a while but I could not find a case similar to mine so far, so I was wondering if someone could give me some light:

I received an email asking for sputum smears and TB cultures which will take around three months to be done. I found this very strange as I received a copy of my medical report and there was no indication of abnormalities on my X-Ray. I also never had TB or had contact with someone who had and I was also vaccinated when I was a child. So I was wondering whether this is a somewhat normal case or if I should get worried about my health? I have zero symptoms and I actually almost never get ill.

On a more practical side: will my visa process be “frozen” until I send the results? I am applying for a temporary partner visa so it would be good to know if they are convinced with what I sent or not so I could use this waiting time more efficiently. Who should I contact in this case?

Thank you very much in advance for any information!

We occasionally hear of medicals being referred when no abnormalities have been signalled by the doctor who did the medical. There seem to be two possible reasons - we think there must be certain key words which, if they occur in the medical history, get picked up (this is just deduction, because no information is publicly available), and also, since the medicals are scanned by computer, the slightest reading outside the normal range for a test of a sample can also mean referral (as the machine can't use common sense and realize that 0.001 over the limit on one test means nothing). So it just COULD be one or the other in your case, but it does sound very odd, unless you have been living in or have visited somewhere where TB is endemic.

Referrals to the MA are ONLY to help INZ decide if an applicant's state of health might cost the NZ Health Service too much money. They don't have some hotline to your physical condition that you don't know about.

Any CO processing your application can't make a decision until after s/he receives word that your medical is acceptable, but may do some work verifying other aspects. It may be worth asking INZ (using the call line) if your case has been allocated to a CO yet.

Hi BabiMT,

I have a similar case as you just now. I have been asked to do 3 current smears and cultures (sputum samples in 3 mornings), and additional x-ray test regarding tuberculosis. I just finished the 3 sputum samples test this week and start the waiting of 10 weeks for the result.

I also cannot believe that I have infected TB because I think I am in very low risk, I have zero symptoms, I did not go to a high-risk area, I do not smoke and I am in good health. My application included 4 people but only I am being requested to do this test. I think if I am infected TB, my wife should be in high risk but her medical test result is fine. The officer mentioned my x-ray showed "Mild pleural thickening at bilateral upper zones. Lungs are otherwise clear", that's the reason why I need to do this test. If your x-ray is normal, then I think it is really strange. May be just the medical team or your officer did not tell you the reason behind?

I checked on the internet, tuberculosis is a common infectious disease. It is spread through the air so no one can guarantee not being infected.The only thing I could do is to follow the instruction, do and pay those tests, and wait for the result in around 3 months.

Thank you very much for the information JandM and kne

Just as clarifications:
    I have been living in Europe for almost 5 years, but I am originally from Brazil. So if previous places I have been to are a reason for asking additional exams, then it makes sense, I guess?

Kne, I saw the results in the e-medical report that was also sent to the immigration (I did not see my x-ray, though). In this form I had an “A” grade for the x-ray part with all questions marked as "normal" by the panel physician who first looked at the x-ray. There was no additional information in the immigration e-mail asking for the extra exams.

In any case, I agree it is worthwhile to contact the immigration and check if I can speed up the other aspects of the application.

Hello again after a long time!

In case someone is interested in the timeline for the TB culture investigation. I just got my results back (negative, as expected). It took 12 weeks between sending the samples and getting the results.

Let`s see how the rest of the process goes now...

That is good news - congratulations! All the best for things to proceed smoothly from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by BabiMT View Post
    Hello again after a long time!

In case someone is interested in the timeline for the TB culture investigation. I just got my results back (negative, as expected). It took 12 weeks between sending the samples and getting the results.

Let`s see how the rest of the process goes now...
    Congrats BabiMT!

I would also share my case too! My TB result came back in 12 weeks and negative. However, the doctor said from my x-ray result, there is a symptom show that there is a possibility which long time ago, I may be infected TB and self-recovered. He said this will also be recorded in my report but he said most likely they should accept my result.

Now I have notified my CO and waiting for the Medical Assessment team to assess my new submitted result further.

Thanks a lot JandM and kne!

kne, good luck with the rest of the process!

Dear all,

I would like to let you know that my visa was approved today, so I am sharing the full timeline now:

Partner of a worker work visa
    21 August 2017 - Application received
    06 September 2017 - Additional medical reports required (tb investigation)
    06 December 2017 - Results submitted
    10 January 2018 - Visa approved

Congrats!! BabiMT!!
    Good luck~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast