Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to open bank account from overseas

Default Is it possible to open bank account from overseas

Hi ya

We've just got the Visa to emigrate and now need to start making plans for the move (to Christchurch).

Does anyone know if we can open a bank account from overseas (we're currently in South Africa)?

If it is possible, any recommendations re which bank?

Cheers
    R
    Last edited by Rogerb; 16th September 2017 at 09:40 PM.

Yes, you can. Look at the various banks' websites for their procedures.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogerb View Post
    Hi ya

We've just got the Visa to emigrate and now need to start making plans for the move (to Christchurch).

Does anyone know if we can open a bank account from overseas (we're currently in South Africa)?

If it is possible, any recommendations re which bank?

Cheers
    R
    Yes you can. I opened with Kiwi Bank and my husband with ANZ from the UK. They both needed us to activate it here in NZ. ANZ requested that he sent certified copies of his passport and UK address whilst Kiwi Bank just wanted to see my passport and visa. We were able to transfer money into it using transferwise and withdraw immediately the accounts were activated.

I did with ANZ bank. Very easy. You just need to fill in the Foreigner bank account opening form online on anz bank.

Once done, officer will contact you with the new account number, and you can start TT transfer.

Once u are in NZ, you need to visit the bank branch in order to get your ATM card

Me and the family are moving next year to New Zealand, therefore there are some homework to be done.

One of the points that are included in our to do list is to open bank accounts in NZ and we have a list of several banks that allow to open it abroad and to validate it when we arrive.

When we arrive none of us will have bills, since we will stay with family, so it will be very hard to have a proof of address.

Do you know if ANZ bank request it or do we need only the passport to open it and start to use it (transfers, deposits, cards, etc) ?

Thank you for your clarifications.

You need to show an address proof in NZ and passport.

Address proof can be your hotel address where u stay in NZ. Or even your friends can write it down on a paper an sign it. ANZ officer was very helpful in our case.

Bank office will send you the format of the letter in which you need to mention your NZ address.
    All those things will be taken caredof by the bank once u open the account with them

Thanks a lot for that information. That will tick one more box in our extensive check list

I was able to open an account for DEPOSITS before I arrived. I was only able to make it good for withdrawal after I arrived and showed various papers to the bank.

ANZ was my choice, because there is no fee for having a Foreign Currency account (in USD). I opened it remotely, and was able to transfer money from overseas.
    After landing I provided a letter from the hotel I was staying in, and that was it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast