Thread: Partnership Residence Visa vs Partnership Work Visa

Default Partnership Residence Visa vs Partnership Work Visa

Hi All,

I am a New Zealander living in the UK and my husband has applied for a Partnership residence visa, which was received in New Zealand on the 27th July. It has been checked by a clerk but we're waiting for the CO to be assigned.

We are planning to travel to NZ at the end of March 2018 and we have realised that this process will take longer than we anticipated! We are starting to be concerned that we won't have the visa granted by the time we travel.

It has been suggested that if we don't have a visa granted by Jan 2018 we could apply for a temporary partnership work visa, does anyone have any experience of this? We were wondering if we would need to resend all the documentation (especially police certificates and health check) or if there is a central database for the applications. From what I understand the temporary visas are processed in the UK and the residence visa is being processed in NZ.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

We were wondering if we would need to resend all the documentation (especially police certificates and health check)
    A4.25 c, here. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/46507.htm A5.10 d, here. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/41439.htm (That is, you should be all right for the police check, and all right for the medical as long as it is clear.)

For your partnership evidence, it's better to send copies of what you have already submitted, because although in theory the new CO processing the work visa could access records from the residence application, it is much easier for him/her to see papers on her/his own desk. And it is advisable to keep collecting more partnership proof straight away now and continuing until you have BOTH visas, and keep copies of it whenever you send any in. For one thing, INZ normally ask for more evidence covering processing time just before a visa is granted, making sure they are not issuing a visa for someone whose relationship has broken up in the meantime, and for another, you are likely to be dealing with different offices, and for a third, if a CO says you haven't supplied evidence of x, it's easier on you if you can describe what they need to look for, e.g., 'Yes, I have - it was a printed sheet of blue A4 paper.'

Here https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=si....0.Xv5PD7Qaebk are old threads with discussion and examples of partnership evidence. Provide A LOT.

Thanks JandM, that's really helpful.

We went through old threads before we applied and I hope we sent what they will consider sufficient evidence of partnership. We certainly meet the criteria and sent a lot of documents!
    Luckily we photocopied the application before we sent it, so have it all to hand if we need to apply for an alternative visa. We thought we had done all our research regarding how long it will take for the visa to be approved, but somehow missed that it can take up to 6 months AFTER you have been assigned a CO.

Good advice to keep gathering evidence to cover the next few months - I will start doing that now.

Thanks again for your help