Thread: IQA Assessing Process -- Degree Certificate Not Showing Final Grade

Default IQA Assessing Process -- Degree Certificate Not Showing Final Grade

Kia Ora,

I have a question for those who have dealt with an IQA for immigration purposes.

The degree that is going to be assessed is an equivalent of a Bachelor degree, but has been awarded by an "Academy of Fine Arts" which is a public institution.
    Now, the degree certificate itself does not indicate the final grade obtained, nor is this indicated in the diploma supplement. The only way to work out a GPA is the list of exams and grades provided.

Would NZQA raise any problem with the degree certificate -- the parchment itself -- and the transcripts lacking the final grade? We're going with the fast track option... do they respect the processing timeframe?

Any suggestion?

Thank you for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by m1n1m4l View Post
    Kia Ora,

I have a question for those who have dealt with an IQA for immigration purposes.

The degree that is going to be assessed is an equivalent of a Bachelor degree, but has been awarded by an "Academy of Fine Arts" which is a public institution.
    Now, the degree certificate itself does not indicate the final grade obtained, nor is this indicated in the diploma supplement. The only way to work out a GPA is the list of exams and grades provided.

Would NZQA raise any problem with the degree certificate -- the parchment itself -- and the transcripts lacking the final grade? We're going with the fast track option... do they respect the processing timeframe?

Any suggestion?

Thank you for your help!
    I have applied IQA before, on the base of my own experience, I could give the below personal comments:
    1. Fast track should let your application queue up at a faster queue, this lets your application allocate to someone to start processing earlier.
    2. My Degree also does not include GPA, I think it is not a must. I think NZQA want to see the courses you have taken and passed, these are going to do matching with NZQF; The length of the courses needed to study, and the accreditation of the courses from the govenment.

Send them the certification and all transcripts related to it, if any document needs to be obtained from the institute, do it asap. After your application assigned to an officer, you may send email regularly (for me, once every 2 weeks) to enquire for the progress and ask if anything you could help to speed up the process.

I can see you mentioned diploma supplement, in case if your degree included some points/courses that are transferred from a diploma, try to mention this clearly somewhere in your application because most likely they will ask for it. Try send also the diploma and it's transcripts, for my case I did not provided hard copy to them at beginning, when they asked me regarding my diploma with some transferred points, I have sent them the cert and transcripts softcoipes.

Hope this information helpful to you.

Thank you for your reply.

I called NZQA and they say they'll figure things out even without a stated GPA. It may or may not influence the assessment, go figure how they treat different academic approaches around the world.
    They even said it is unlikely that they will have to contact the awarding institution, so that makes me hope they know what they are doing.
    We will take the degree certificate on parchment to a JP, have it certified, and then send to NZQA for IQA assessment.

Hope it all will be worth it in the end.

Thank you for your reply and best luck with your application!