Thread: Qualification assessment process

Default Qualification assessment process

Hi all, from my research it looks like I will need to get my qualification assessed by NZQA. What is the process to do this?

I have a National Diploma: Electrical Engineering: Digital Technology from Tshwane University of Technology in South Africa (obtained in 2008) and 9 years of experience as an Electronic Design Engineer.
    On immigration.govt.nz it states that qualifications can be substituted with experience, how does this work? Is it only for the visa process or does it apply to NZQA as well?

Quote Originally Posted by RossiBG View Post
    Hi all, from my research it looks like I will need to get my qualification assessed by NZQA. What is the process to do this?

I have a National Diploma: Electrical Engineering: Digital Technology from Tshwane University of Technology in South Africa (obtained in 2008) and 9 years of experience as an Electronic Design Engineer.
    On immigration.govt.nz it states that qualifications can be substituted with experience, how does this work? Is it only for the visa process or does it apply to NZQA as well?
    Suggest to do IQA directly, don't do PAR.

see here
    http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/qualificatio...ns-assessment/

You may need to get IQA result before submitting EOI, you need to fill either PAR or IQA result in the EOI. After you received ITA, you have to submit IQA result. Furthermore, IQA takes 3-4 months or even longer time to complete, so suggest to complete the IQA before submit EOI.

For qualifications be substituted with experience, I have no idea, you may need other experts in this forum to help you.
    Last edited by kne; 3rd October 2017 at 09:57 PM.

I just had a look at my profession (Electronic Design Engineer) again and noticed the bold line below, does anyone know if this means that I don't need to do the IQA? Does the fact that my occupation is on the LTSSL allow me to bypass the assessment?

You also must be qualified in one of the following ways:
    you have a relevant recognised qualification at or above the level described in the ANZSCO,
    OR
    you have the relevant work experience that ANZSCO states will substitute for a formal qualification (for any skill level 1 occupation you can substitute the qualification specified by the ANZSCO with 5 years of work experience, even if the ANZSCO does not state this),
    OR
    your occupation is included on the Long Term Skill Shortage List and you meet its requirements,
    OR
    your employment requires occupational registration in New Zealand by law and you hold full or provisional registration for your occupation.
    Last edited by RossiBG; 9th October 2017 at 11:24 PM.

Meeting the requirements of LTSSL can need to include IQA or IPENZ. Enter your profession here http://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz/, then click on the LTSSL box and see what it tells you.

So when I have a look at the LTSSL It states the list bellow which interestingly doesn't mention anything about experience being recognized instead of a qualification. How exactly does the experience part work? seeing as the two different sections on the same page don't line up.

Required standard

One of the following:
    - A Washington Accord accredited (initial) engineering degree (listed - see Note 3)
    - A Bachelor of Engineering with Honours (NZQF Level 8)
    - A qualification at NZQF Level 7 or higher, with a letter from IPENZ certifying that the degree and any further learning meet the benchmark requirements towards Chartered Professional Engineer professional status in New Zealand
    - NZ registration as a Chartered Professional Engineer by the Institution of Professional Engineers New Zealand.

You can't use experience as a substitute if you are using the LTSSL criterion. Using experience instead of a qualification is a different criterion. You can't mix the two.