Thread: Baby on work-to-residence visa - what to do to travel?

Question Baby on work-to-residence visa - what to do to travel?

Hi guys,

I've called NZ Immigration 3 times about this and have gotten 3 different answers! Help!

So, my husband and I are here on a work-to-residence visa (30 months - multiple entry) and had a baby a few months ago. Now we'd like to travel home for a few weeks and need a visa for our daughter for her to be able to return to NZ. So, do we need to apply for

1. a dependent child visitor visa - this assumes that our daughter currently has a visitor visa and thus won't be able to come back into NZ - but isn't this also a visitor visa and thus has the same issue? The woman on the phone seemed stumped when I brought this up and dodged the question.

or

2. a Variation of Travel conditions - this assumes that our daughter automatically takes our (work) visa but with single entry only - to be extended in this Variation of conditions

Is there anyone who's had experience with this? What did you guys do?

Thanks a bunch!!

Liselotte

Have you previously declared your daughter's birth to INZ and been told what visa she is considered to hold?

Quote Originally Posted by Liselotte View Post
    Hi guys,

I've called NZ Immigration 3 times about this and have gotten 3 different answers! Help!

So, my husband and I are here on a work-to-residence visa (30 months - multiple entry) and had a baby a few months ago. Now we'd like to travel home for a few weeks and need a visa for our daughter for her to be able to return to NZ. So, do we need to apply for

1. a dependent child visitor visa - this assumes that our daughter currently has a visitor visa and thus won't be able to come back into NZ - but isn't this also a visitor visa and thus has the same issue? The woman on the phone seemed stumped when I brought this up and dodged the question.

or

2. a Variation of Travel conditions - this assumes that our daughter automatically takes our (work) visa but with single entry only - to be extended in this Variation of conditions

Is there anyone who's had experience with this? What did you guys do?

Thanks a bunch!!

Liselotte
    Your child enjoys the most favourable conditions of either parents visa from the time of her birth while she is in New Zealand. That means that while she is lawfully in NZ, she does not hold a visa. She does not have travel conditions.

An application for a visitor visa, as a dependent child will need to be made, by providing passport, birth certificate and a child's medical

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/35135.htm
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 4th October 2017 at 08:54 AM.

OK, so option 1. Thank you!