Thread: NZQA Pre-Assessment (PAR) really necessary?

Default NZQA Pre-Assessment (PAR) really necessary?

Hi,

I'm going towards permanent residency and want to send my EOI soon. Therefore I need to get my university degrees approved.

I've read the manual here: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/31313.htm but not completely sure...
    Is it correct that you always need a full IQA for the EOI? That would mean the Pre Assessment is actually just a waste of time and money (as was reading in this forum, too).

Also I have a Bachelor of Science and a Master of Science. Do I need to make the IQA process twice and paying $746 two times?
    Actually if I just get my Master approved and maybe even at level 9 that would give me enough points, then my Bachelor degree would not be necessary to assess, correct?

Thank you very much in advance!
    Hawksi

Quote Originally Posted by Hawksi View Post
    Hi,

I'm going towards permanent residency and want to send my EOI soon. Therefore I need to get my university degrees approved.

I've read the manual here: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/31313.htm but not completely sure...
    Is it correct that you always need a full IQA for the EOI? That would mean the Pre Assessment is actually just a waste of time and money (as was reading in this forum, too).

Also I have a Bachelor of Science and a Master of Science. Do I need to make the IQA process twice and paying $746 two times?
    Actually if I just get my Master approved and maybe even at level 9 that would give me enough points, then my Bachelor degree would not be necessary to assess, correct?

Thank you very much in advance!
    Hawksi
    From my experience, I would say PAR is totally a waste of time and money. The PAR can only give you an idea of what is the NZQF grade, but in the application you still have to submit IQA result instead of PAR result. So my suggestion is, if your qualification is not in exemption list, do IQA directly and do it first before submit EOI.

For 2 degrees question, the answer is you can do assessment up to 5 qualifications in one IQA application. (For PAR, one qualification per one application, waste money again...)

For your question use which qualification to claim points, if you only claim Recognised qualification points, you could use only Master degree, but don't skip the bachelor assessment in IQA.
    Becareful here, if you claim any LTSSL related points, such as Recognised work experience (using in an area of absolute skills shortage criteria) and Work experience in are of absolute skill shortage, you MUST use bachelor degree to claim those points. This is because you need a LTSSL fulfillment assessment from IQA, notwithstanding you have a master degree which based on your bachelor one, LTSSL fulfillment assessment only apply to a bachelor degree.

No matter you are claiming LTSSL points or not, I recommend you to submit all your qualifications for IQA assessment, to ensure in case you need it in the coming ITA process, no waste of time.

Finally, you better submit IQA asap, don't wait for EOI submission. If your qualification not in exemption list, when you submit EOI, you need either PAR or IQA result as NZQF level evidence to claim qualification points. Further more, IQA may takes 3 - 4 months or even longer time to complete, but you only have 4 months to prepare ITA documents and submit, time is most likely not enough if you do IQA after you received ITA. It is good if you get IQA result before your submit EOI, you will get less pressure on it.
    Last edited by kne; 3rd October 2017 at 09:36 PM.

Hi kne,
    thanks for your detailed answer. Now I will go straight forward to do the IQA.

The other thing is that my Bachelor's and Master's qualification from my home university have nothing to do with my recent job. There I have work experience but no official qualification or certificate.

The IQA can take up to 3-4 month? I thought like it's pointed out on their website it'll take up to 30 days. I mean anyway, thats the first step for me now.

Hi kne,
    thanks for your detailed answer. Now I will go straight forward to do the IQA.

The other thing is that my Bachelor's and Master's qualification from my home university have nothing to do with my recent job. There I have work experience but no official qualification or certificate.

The IQA can take up to 3-4 month? I thought like it's pointed out on their website it'll take up to 30 days. I mean anyway, thats the first step for me now.
    My application finished in May this year takes more than 3 months.

I just saw another post here, who just finished IQA and shared timeline that his IQA finished in 1 month: https://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54010

Anyway, good to start your first step as your earliest possible, good luck.
    Last edited by kne; 6th October 2017 at 09:16 PM.

Thank you. One month even with fast track... wow!

While I have the chance to ask you: Is it correct that I don't need to upload any documents during the online application steps? (University certificates e.g.)
    And does it makes sense to fill in work experience for example as a chef, which has nothing to do with my qualifications for the actual assessment?
    Last edited by Hawksi; 7th October 2017 at 08:03 PM.

Thank you. One month even with fast track... wow!

While I have the chance to ask you: Is it correct that I don't need to upload any documents during the online application steps? (University certificates e.g.)
    And does it makes sense to fill in work experience for example as a chef, which has nothing to do with my qualifications for the actual assessment?
    I'm not sure on new rules, for my case in old rule, I submitted my application online on their website, and then sent all original documents in hard copies immediately by courier to NZQA.

Refer to NZQA website IQA page: http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/qualificatio...ns-assessment/

Before you begin your application:
    Know which purpose/s you will choose for your IQA application, and
    Check the ‘Documents Required’ section to ensure that you have all necessary forms for your IQA purpose/s, and
    Have all of your materials scanned and in the correct format (certified copies with files not to exceed 2MB) to submit, and
    Allow up one hour to complete the application.

I think it may be one step to submit your application and to submit your scanned documents. Because they said to prepare all your scanned documents before you start the application.

good luck to your application!

So it makes sense to first of all make sure that all documents are ready to send.

Thanks again kne!