Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work visa thru Partnership

Question Work visa thru Partnership

Hi!

I have been granted a total of two Work Visas thru Partnership so far (1st one was valid from Aug 2016 -Sept 2017, and 2nd one is valid from Aug 2017 - Sep2018). We have lodged our Residency thru Partnership Visa application in August 2017 and we are waiting for it to be finalized.

My question is : In the event that my current work visa application is close to expire and we still do not have any results for the residency application, can I still apply for a third work visa thru partnership? Is there a limit as to how many times you can have this type of visa until residency goes through? Hoping it wont come to that scenario, but if in case it does we just want to be prepared.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by livfree1999 View Post
    Hi!

I have been granted a total of two Work Visas thru Partnership so far (1st one was valid from Aug 2016 -Sept 2017, and 2nd one is valid from Aug 2017 - Sep2018). We have lodged our Residency thru Partnership Visa application in August 2017 and we are waiting for it to be finalized.

My question is : In the event that my current work visa application is close to expire and we still do not have any results for the residency application, can I still apply for a third work visa thru partnership? Is there a limit as to how many times you can have this type of visa until residency goes through? Hoping it wont come to that scenario, but if in case it does we just want to be prepared.

Thank you!
    You's expect a partnership based residence application to be finalised by September 2018 (11 months from now)
    In the event that it wasn't, then further partnership based temporary visas would normally be granted as an exception to instructions, given you applied 13 months earlier for residence

Hi ChrisMwn,

Thank you for the prompt response.

Hi livefree1999

What was your timeline for your second work visa please?

I

When you applied for your second work visa (partnership) how long did it take before you got an outcome from your experience?

Quote Originally Posted by livfree1999 View Post
    Hi!

Thank you!
    Hi livfree1999

I was in a similar situation. After we applied for residency, my work visa and my partner's partnership-based work visa, were close to expiring.

I simply applied for another work visa – because you're basically asking for an extension in order to stay lawfully in NZ while your resident visa application is being processed, it came with less requirements too. For instance, my employer didn't have to advertise the job or provide any evidence or documents. It was granted within 2 days for a period of 12 months to allow for a decision to be made on the SMC.

My partner (who's visa was about to expire based on the dates of mine) simply applied at the same time and within 2 weeks was granted one for the same period.

But as ChrisMwn said, you'd think (or hope) your application processes before September next year
    Last edited by Giwi; 9th October 2017 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MollyDee View Post
    Hi livefree1999

What was your timeline for your second work visa please?

I

Hi MollyDee,

For my second work visa, it was received and lodged August 1,payment deducted August 9 and approved August 18. It was a no-fuss stress free process.

Hi Giwi,

Thank you for the insight and for sharing your experience. Yeah we are hoping the above mentioned scenario wont happen, i guess we just wanted to be on the safe side and really plan everything

Our application is based on partnership so fortunately we wont be needing any help from my employer. I just came across this info from the immigration ops manual that led me to my question:

"WF2.1 Instructions on duration of visa for partners of New Zealand citizens or residence class visa holders

The duration of any visa granted under these instructions is dependent on the time spent living together in a partnership but must not exceed 24 months from:
    the date the first partnership visa was granted if it was granted onshore; or
    the first date of arrival if the partnership visa was granted offshore.
    If the couple has lived together in a partnership for 12 months or more at the time the application is assessed, a work visa may be granted for the length of the couple's intended stay, up to a maximum of 24 months.
    If the couple has lived together in a partnership for less than 12 months at the time the application is assessed, then the first visa granted under these instructions must not exceed 12 months’ duration. Further visas may be granted upon application for up to a maximum of 24 months from the date the first partnership visa was granted or the first date of arrival if the partnership visa was granted offshore if:
    during the validity of the first visa an application for a residence class visa under Partnership Category is made and the principal applicant wishes to remain in New Zealand pending a decision on their application; or
    the couple wish to spend more time in New Zealand and an immigration officer is satisfied they are still living together in a genuine and stable partnership."

So yeah, its the up to 24 months part that got me a bit worried.

Thank you livfree1999 for sharing your experience that is very helpful.

Wow the second work visa came through fast which is good

@Mollydee
    How long have u submitted your application, my partner submitted yesterday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast