Thread: Essential skills work visa

Exclamation Essential skills work visa

Hi
    I applied for essential skill work visa as my residency is in the process and my visa was expiring.
    Today i got the skill visa but its only for 1 year, and i though skill visa is for minimum 2 years.

Should i ask the immigration the reason or it normally happens.

Thanks
    Tj

Hi TJ82 .. Based on my understanding, it is normal for those who have SMC ITA, then apply and get 12 months essential skilled work visa while waiting for a SMC decision as in this manual https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/45676.htm, section WK2.5.15.

Thank you so much for that

It's normal in your situation. See WK3.20.10. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/

Edited to say, simultaneous post with TJ82. Your link is to the old operational manual, but the new version still says the same thing.

Thank you so much

Quote Originally Posted by Depthy View Post
    Hi TJ82 .. Based on my understanding, it is normal for those who have SMC ITA, then apply and get 12 months essential skilled work visa while waiting for a SMC decision as in this manual https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/45676.htm, section WK2.5.15.
    WK4.1 Currency of Essential Skills work visas

An Essential Skills work visa may be granted for the period for which the employment is offered, up to a maximum of:
    5 years for employment assessed as higher-skilled; or
    3 years for employment assessed as mid-skilled; or
    1 year for employment assessed as lower-skilled, unless a 1 year visa would result in the holder exceeding the 3 year maximum period holding Essential Skills visas for lower-skilled employment (WK3.20.5); or
    3 years for employment for an accredited labour hire company; or
    1 year or 6 months if the applicant meets the requirements at WK3.20.10 for people also applying under the Skilled Migrant Category for a resident visa.

Thanks. My job is classified as mid skill.

Hi TJ82 well I have been asking in other place if anybody knows what happen with the wages when you are waiting for residency and you apply for other work visa.
    My job is classified as mid skill aswell with level 3 anzsco and my wages is 21.
    My residence aplication is with Immigration and I just wonder if to do a new work visa I will have problems because of my wages. If anybody have answer will be great.
    for what I read mid skill your wages have to be between $19.97 - $35.24 per hour.
    thank you