Thread: Residence to PR conversion

Default Residence to PR conversion

Hi Team,

First entry 16-Oct to 31-Oct-2016
    Second entry 26-Apr-17 to till now, working full time.
    I have not purchase house/ no plan for next one year.
    So when i can apply for PR.

Thanks
    nir

INZ count BACKWARDS from the date of application. Whenever the application comes in, INZ count BACKWARDS two years from the date of application to check if they have met the requirements. So, whenever you apply, if you are using the 'time in NZ' criterion, INZ will look back to see if you were in NZ 184 days or more in the past 12 months, then if you were in NZ 184 days or more in the 12 months before that.

You can apply any time after you have held your Residence visa for two years, as long as, when you check your dates for the two years immediately before that (not the two years since you activated your visa necessarily), you meet the conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    not the two years since you activated your visa necessarily
    I would like to clarify this, let me make a case to clarify here:
    • 1/Jan/2019 I get my Resident Visa Blue Sticker on passport
    • 1/May/2019 I arrive NZ to activate my Resident Visa and keep staying in NZ

Then I can apply for PR at:
    1/Jan/2021? (2 years since I got blue sticker, as JandM said)
    or
    1/May/2021? (I originally think 2 years since activation)

just want to clarify
    Last edited by kne; 11th October 2017 at 07:47 PM.

If you get residence when you are outside NZ, even after the visa label (blue sticker) is put in your passport, that residence isn't "live" unless and until you go to NZ, present your passport at Immigration at the airport of arrival, and it gets scanned into the system (activated). So for your example, the earliest date you could apply for PR (only if you meet the other conditions, though), is 1st May 2121, two years after activation.

If someone gets residence while already living in NZ, their residence runs from when the blue sticker goes into their passport.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    If you get residence when you are outside NZ, even after the visa label (blue sticker) is put in your passport, that residence isn't "live" unless and until you go to NZ, present your passport at Immigration at the airport of arrival, and it gets scanned into the system (activated). So for your example, the earliest date you could apply for PR (only if you meet the other conditions, though), is 1st May 2121, two years after activation.

If someone gets residence while already living in NZ, their residence runs from when the blue sticker goes into their passport.
    I got it thank you JandM

Quote Originally Posted by ezinir View Post
    Hi Team,

First entry 16-Oct to 31-Oct-2016
    Second entry 26-Apr-17 to till now, working full time.
    I have not purchase house/ no plan for next one year.
    So when i can apply for PR.

Thanks
    nir

Hi Nir,

What JandM has said is correct but its just one of the 5 criteria for PR. I am in kind of similar situation as you where in I haven't qualified for "Significant period of time spent in New Zealand" criteria but I will be eligible for one other i.e. "Base established in New Zealand". Basically, Here is my take and immigration NZ has confirmed it.

1) It has been 24 months since you were first granted/arrived on residency visa. In your case, 17/Oct/2018
    2) Under "Base established in New Zealand" -
    they have been in New Zealand as a resident for a total of at least 41 days in the 12 months immediately preceding the date the application for the permanent resident visa was made; and either
    they own and maintain a family home in New Zealand; or
    they have been engaged in full time continuous genuine employment in New Zealand immediately preceding the date the application for the permanent resident visa was made.

Note - In my case, I don't have any dependent on my residency application. So this option is valid for me but if you have dependents then they have to satisfy below condition as well
    each and every member of their immediate family who was included in their application for a resident visa has resided in New Zealand for at least 184 days in the two year period immediately preceding the date the application for the permanent resident visa was made; and

Link to Immigration Manual for detail instructions: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/ Check under Residency section, After grant of resident visa and then RV2.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by waliajas; 12th October 2017 at 07:09 AM.

Thanks JandM and All

When processing PR, apart from one of the five criteria, does INZ investigate the applicant employment for the past years as from the approval of residence visa?

No, what you have been doing in the meantime is not under consideration at all, except things that might come under the heading of the character requirement.

Thanks Jand