Thread: Will the new government affect our applications?

Default Will the new government affect our applications?

Hi dear all. Just saw the announcement of Labour Party. If they change the immigration policy, will it affects our application which has been submitted and wait for case officer?

Quote Originally Posted by ladisoyo View Post
    Hi dear all. Just saw the announcement of Labour Party. If they change the immigration policy, will it affects our application which has been submitted and wait for case officer?
    As I read the news before, Labour Party plans to cut net immigration numbers by about 20,000 to 30,000 a year, partly by cutting student visas for courses considered to be “low value”.

I think SMC may have fewer impact but cannot be avoided. Luckily for those already lodged ITA including me, I think we should not be affected.

Applications which are in the system now, and any which are submitted before any change in the law is announced, will be being processed according to the system in force at the time of lodgement.

I hope so The new govt is scary for a foreigner like me already received my ITA but still not able to lodge my documents. They say they are cracking down number of immigrants.. so, all the best.. and may God bless us.

http://www.labour.org.nz/immigration

I think the first major cuts are going to come from student visas, work visas rather than SMC.

Quote Originally Posted by param912003 View Post
    http://www.labour.org.nz/immigration

I think the first major cuts are going to come from student visas, work visas rather than SMC.
    I hope the current students will not be affected, if not it will be too cruel to them.
    But i agree that some courses are not really adding value to the economy.
    However, these courses i reckon have also lower international intake ?
    International students tend to go for skilled courses like accounting/IT/Engineering.
    Maybe they cut business adminstration/marketing ??

P.S lucky i applied EOI and received my ITA before Mr Peter chooses.
    Somehow i knew this fella will try to be funny.

Quote Originally Posted by ysc5 View Post
    I hope the current students will not be affected, if not it will be too cruel to them.
    The linked page does mention that "Existing students who came in good faith on the basis of the post study work visa being available will be able to access this visa but subsequent visas will be under the new rules."