Thread: Quantity Surveyor

Default Quantity Surveyor

Hi all,

Could I please ask if you could kindly share some of your or your friend's experience on Quantity surveyor?

Currently I was working in Tourism for 4 years, thinking about changing industry and seems like construction is in a good prospect. After some researching I found Quantity surveyor interests me the most.

1. Heard you need a 2 yrs diploma in QS to get a job. Would that be the case? Would you need extra qualification or education?
    2. In order to apply SMC with QS, a registration with NZIQS is required. Do you have any idea on this? How much experience/qualification needed in order to get registration?
    3. Any challenge/difficulty you faced becoming QS?
    4. I know it's not an easy answer, but what do you think about the prospect of QS in mid or long term future in NZ?

Any thoughts or suggestions are very much appreciated, as my friends are all builders. And they don't know much about QS.

Many thanks!

Quantity Surveyor is listed on the INZ skills list. http://skillshortages.immigration.go...tity-surveyor/ The qualifications required for you to get points on the LTSSL are as follows.
    Long term skill shortage list
    Required standard

One of the following:
    - A bachelor's degree at NZQF Level 7, or a higher qualification with the minimum equivalent of 360 credits, which includes the requirements of a New Zealand major in quantity surveying or construction economics
    - Student or Affiliate Membership, or MNZIQS, of the New Zealand Institute of Quantity Surveyors (with an overseas degree approved by NZIQS)
    AND
    a minimum of three years’ relevant post-qualification work experience