Thread: Essential Skills Visa to Residence Visa

Default Essential Skills Visa to Residence Visa

Hi,

My brother in law is currently on an Essential Skills (Level 1) Work Visa which is valid for 5 years. His skills (Web Developer) are on the Long Term Skill Shortage list and Absolute skills shortage list. I think his current employer applied for the Essentials Skills Visa, rather than the Long Term Skills Shortage Work to Residence Work Visa, due to the fact that they are not on the Accredited List.

He has been working for the company in NZ for over a year now and due to the recent changes in Government and their policies towards reducing immigration numbers, he is getting a bit nervous and wants to apply for Residence. As I've been through the whole SMC Residence Visa process I want to assist him. My only question is whether he should move from the Essential Skills Visa to the Long Term Skills Shortage Work to Residence Work Visa (Ask his employer to get Accredited) or, if he has enough points, go straight for the SMC Residence Visa. His wife is on the Partner working visa and is also permanently employed (Professional Accountant). On paper it looks like they get 165 points.

Are there any advantages, going from the Essentials Visa to the Work to Residence Visa first, rather going straight to the SMC Residence Visa? From my understanding, even if you are on a Work to Residence Visa, you would need to lodge an EOI after 24 months and follow the same process or am I missing something?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Marnus.

Are there any advantages, going from the Essentials Visa to the Work to Residence Visa first, rather going straight to the SMC Residence Visa? From my understanding, even if you are on a Work to Residence Visa, you would need to lodge an EOI after 24 months and follow the same process or am I missing something?
    You're quite right. As things stand at the moment, there's no reason to try to go to WTR rather than applying directly under SMC (and there's no way to know if the employer would qualify to become accredited, or would even want to).