Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: National Security Check (NSC) Timeline

Agree with Gaida. Looks that this is initiative of a CO, but I think they are guided by some internal instructions. It's just an assumption.
    Last edited by scif; 27th November 2017 at 04:24 PM.

Just checking - under what circumstances would we need to get an NSC from New Zealand in addition to the one from our home country? I believe it's necessary from any country where you have citizenship or where you've stayed longer than 6 months, is that correct? So if we came on a visitor's visa for 6+ months, we would then need an NSC from NZ for our SMC application? How long does the NZ police check typically take?

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
    Just checking - under what circumstances would we need to get an NSC from New Zealand in addition to the one from our home country? I believe it's necessary from any country where you have citizenship or where you've stayed longer than 6 months, is that correct? So if we came on a visitor's visa for 6+ months, we would then need an NSC from NZ for our SMC application? How long does the NZ police check typically take?
    A police check at a NSC are two quite different things. In any case, any checks required with NZ authorities are obtained internally by INZ. A NZ police check by INZ takes 2-4 weeks. NSC's are not normally required for US citizens.

Hi all,

Im just quite curious about this NSC thing. Is this required for all SMC applicants also? I have an ITA but was never ask to fill up INZ 1209. Instead, INZ ask us to fill up INZ1200 (add'l Information form including my wife and children 17 above. What is the relevance of an updated Police clearance from my country behind this NSC check. Does it take longer when you have stayed in more countries previously than just from your home country? So unfortunate to hear that some applicants takes 6 months in undergoing NSC checks. Can somebody share a link to Immigration instructions or policy regarding this so I can read further. Thank you.

Please read the explanation at the link in my previous post.

Details about the requirements for NSC are NOT publicly available in the same way as are all the normal criteria for visas, which come under INZ, because NSC is, as the name states, to do with national security.

Thanks, ChrisMwn and JandM!

So .....

Every other South African that recently got their visa has mentioned they didn't have to fill in the INZ1209 form.

If this is based on country then I'm unsure why i had to and others didn't ?

I have only spoken to one other person from SA that was requested to fill in the INZ1209 form when applying this year.

JandM and other guru's, do you know WHEN typically NSC starts? Why I'm asking is because that post. Regarding that post, CO was assigned two months LATER than NSC started. Yeasterday I was asked my CO and she adviced that my NSC was started about 5 months ago. My timeline. I skipped application fee charge which was on 13/07, so, it looks like NSC started BEFORE CO assignment or may be even before receiving in branch.

Quote Originally Posted by scif View Post
    JandM and other guru's, do you know WHEN typically NSC starts? Why I'm asking is because that post. Regarding that post, CO was assigned two months LATER than NSC started. Yeasterday I was asked my CO and she adviced that my NSC was started about 5 months ago. My timeline. I skipped application fee charge which was on 13/07, so, it looks like NSC started BEFORE CO assignment or may be even before receiving in branch.
    It would normally be started by the officer dealing with the lodgment of the application. Sometimes though with changing requirements it doesn't happen till later, or the need may not be picked up until a case officer has a more detailed look at the application,

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast