Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visa for newborn

Default Visa for newborn

Hi folks,

We (family of five) got our residence visa 1 year ago. We will be welcoming our 4th child next month and we've decided to have him delivered outside of NZ and then bring him back after 1-2 months. I'm looking through the visa options for him. Can I do the following:

1. Bring baby into NZ (we come from a visa waiver country, so baby automatically gets a 3 months visitor visa upon entry if I'm not wrong)
    2. Once in NZ, send off the application for residence visa under family category
    3. If the residence application is not approved before the 3 months visitor visa expires, we will apply for an extension of the visitor visa whilst in NZ

Will the above work?

Thanks! =)

I think that should all work out all right. Probably stating the obvious, but he will have to have a birth certificate and passport.

Just thought of something regarding my original question - when I bring my newborn into NZ (on a visitor visa), will immigration ask for proof of a return air ticket?

If they go by the letter of the law, they probably ought to, but one would hope common sense would carry the day. It might mean getting interviewed at some length.

What would be the worst case scenario? Denied entry and pay for the next available flight out of NZ? I will have 3 other kids with me and the last thing I want will be to be delayed at the airport after a 10 hour flight =(

I suppose they COULD do that, if you got an absolute stickler, and if there isn't some special case rule (not publicly documented) which would apply.

Have you tried putting this question to INZ? Resident visa holder family arriving with newborn on a visitor's visa - does the baby need a flight out, or not? And if s/he doesn't, do you need any other documentation (such as - just picked out of the air - proof of your finances to show you COULD get her/him a ticket if necessary) to show? If you can get an emailed reply you can print off, this could ease your mind considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by Rol View Post
    Hi folks,

We (family of five) got our residence visa 1 year ago. We will be welcoming our 4th child next month and we've decided to have him delivered outside of NZ and then bring him back after 1-2 months. I'm looking through the visa options for him. Can I do the following:

1. Bring baby into NZ (we come from a visa waiver country, so baby automatically gets a 3 months visitor visa upon entry if I'm not wrong)
    2. Once in NZ, send off the application for residence visa under family category
    3. If the residence application is not approved before the 3 months visitor visa expires, we will apply for an extension of the visitor visa whilst in NZ

Will the above work?

Thanks! =)
    You might find that you can't check in without the baby (or an adult with infant included) holding an OUTWARD (not necessarily a return) ticket. Advanced Passenger processing rules would restrict the airline from allowing anyone to board that does hold an outward ticket (unless holding a outward passage waived visa). Just buying a cheap ticket to Australia might be the simplest and cheapest solution?
    Better than having to do so at the airport at the last moment.
    OR an online visitor visa application?
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 19th December 2017 at 05:34 AM.

What is INZ's email? Can't seem to find it on their website.

Buying a cheap ticket to Australia sounds like a good idea. Will the immigration officers question it though? That we are just circumventing their rules?

Quote Originally Posted by Rol View Post
    What is INZ's email? Can't seem to find it on their website.

Buying a cheap ticket to Australia sounds like a good idea. Will the immigration officers question it though? That we are just circumventing their rules?
    You aren't circumventing the rules, you are complying with them. Entry on a visa waiver requires the the person have an outward ticket (and funds) .

You can conctct INZ through an online enquiry at the "contact us" page on the website. I cant guartantee that you will like the response you get!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    You aren't circumventing the rules, you are complying with them. Entry on a visa waiver requires the the person have an outward ticket (and funds) .

You can conctct INZ through an online enquiry at the "contact us" page on the website. I cant guartantee that you will like the response you get!
    Thanks Chris! I think I will get a cheap ticket out of NZ then =)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast